We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myakka state park cabin

Maryland
Level Contributor
491 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Myakka state park cabin

On our way to Ft. Myers, we'd love to visit Myakka State Park. Most commercial motels are quite a while away, but a cabin in the park is available. We're not looking for luxury, just something clean and neat with comfy beds. Staying here would greatly reduce the drive to the park. Has anyone stayed here? An old post discussing whether rangers would mind people drinking has us a little worried. (We're 65 plus.) ADvie would be appreicated!! Thanks.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Myakka state park cabin

It's about 9 miles from I-75 to the park entrance along Clarke Rd. and there are some hotels at that junction I-75/Clarke Rd. Would that be close enough?

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for Siesta Key
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Myakka state park cabin

The cabins are pretty rustic, more like camping. I haven't been inside but from the outside they did not look like they would be neat with comfy beds.

Maryland
Level Contributor
491 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myakka state park cabin

That sounds very reasonable! I just started checking so i'll look further into that location. Thanks!

Maryland
Level Contributor
491 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myakka state park cabin

Thanks!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Myakka state park cabin

I think there are these at the junction (exit 205 on I-75): Comfort Inn, Days Inn, and Country Inn & Suites.

Two miles further north (exit 207) at the Bee Ridge Rd exit there should be a Hampton Inn.

I hope you find something suitable.

Mentioned in this post
Days Inn Sarasota
Days Inn Sarasota
472 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Maryland
Level Contributor
491 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Myakka state park cabin

Thanks again!! We have an afternoon and the next morning and early pm befote we need to be in ft. Myers. Any other suggestions for scenic things to see between tampa and ft. myers - or maybe ones even better than myakka? We love wildlife refuges, nature sanctuaries, etc.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Myakka state park cabin

If it's Tampa Airport that is your departure point, be sure to take the route over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge then on to I-75. The bridge has a toll of about $1.25 and you can pay cash.

If you have time in the first afternoon you can visit the Lowry Park Zoo or the Florida Aquarium. Even Busch Gardens has a bit of wildlife. All of these are in Tampa.

It will be about a 2 hour drive to Ft. Myers. And of course when you're in Ft. Myers it's a short drive over to Sanibel Island ($6 toll) where there's the Ding Wildlife Refuge.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Maryland
Level Contributor
491 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Myakka state park cabin

We go to Ding Darling every year when we're in Ft. Myers. Thanks for the suggestions. We're looking for things to do between Tampa Bay and Ft. Myers and thought Myakka might be interesting,.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Myakka state park cabin

There are plenty of inexpensive hotels along the interstate, on the way to Fort Myers, which is only 3 hours or so from Tampa, maybe less.

Myakka is pretty, with lots of trees, and a canopy walk. You can see gators and birds galore there. There is an airboat ride.

The cabins are VERY basic. I think one of the hotels by the interstate could be a good idea.

And yeah, Sanibel is nice.....

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers
Fort Myers
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Myakka state park cabin

When you take the road all the way into the Myakka Park (btw, $6/car to go in) there's a restaurant at the very end if you need something to eat. And in case you didn't read it yet, there's lots of info about the park on their website.