We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Red Tide

The Tampa Tribune reports today that Red Tide is beginning to impact some beaches in Sarasota County, from Venice up to Siesta Key and Lido Key. It seems that the large "bloom" of Red Tide, about 12 miles long and 6 miles wide, may have moved into our general area. It had lingered off the Charlotte County coastline last week but "is now causing the dead fish to wash up on shore" in the Sarasota area, according to the Tribune.

A survey by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission is less specific and notes only that evidence of Red Tide is seen at very low levels along some beaches in the Sarasota area. The next summary by Fish & Wildlife will be out on Friday.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Tide

I smelled it along the waterfront yesterday I think....

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,139 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Tide

Last week's (oct 5th) survey showed none there. It must be moving fast this year.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,716 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Tide

Isn't it also late in the year for this? I thought it was a "height of the Summer" happening.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,139 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Tide

Last year it was late sept, oct, nov

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for Siesta Key
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Tide

I read last night that the wind for the next couple of days was going to be in our favor and blow it further south and a bit more offshore. Apparently they can only predict about 3 days ahead. Siesta has been clear from what I have seen and I haven't smelled anything this morning. I do know Venice and further south have been impacted.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Tide

Some onshore hints of Red Tide are around now, but in a very scattered manner. A bit ("low level") at North Lido Beach, none at South Lido Beach, also low level on one beach on Siesta, none on others. Bird Key Beach, in the Bay between downtown Sarasota and Lido Key (basically a place for dog swimming) has "high levels" of Red Tide. This spottiness seems to be the case all the way from Anna Maria, maybe even St. Pete, down to Ft. Myers and Sanibel, and it seems to come and go depending on the winds and the tide. If you're here or coming soon and you come upon it, simply travel a mile or two North or South and you won't notice a thing. And perhaps, fingers crossed, by tomorrow it will all be blown away out to sea.

7. Re: Red Tide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Sarasota