We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

Hey Everyone

Just booked Lido Beach Resort for family getaway in mid August

Looks like a nice place with reasonable reviews

I chose a beachfront junior suite in the new tower building on a high floor

We plan to rent a car at the airport, flying into sarasota/braedeton

plan to spend lazy days on the beach and at the pool with our 2 small kids 8 and 4

plan to eat out a few nights

any casual kids friendly places with good food??

plan to go to Mote marine center and take the pontoon boat ride, with hands on marine educational experience for the kids

any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

any fun activities or dining experiences would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Lido Beach Resort
Lido Beach Resort
1,634 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,143 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

If bad weather, Gwiz science museum. Otherwise they will have fun on beach and in pool. Sunset sail can be fun for parents.

Casual and kid friendly Cha Cha coconuts in St Armands not far. Salty Dog near Mote. I took my twins to Marina Jacks when they were 4, back in the day (18 now and just went to University lol).

PS, you will have a blast- great beach good hotel.

Check out Siesta Key beach and Anna Maria island by car (take the kids to the Rod and Reel pier for lunch or dinner one day like I did with my twins all those years ago) to check them out for future family trips.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 22:13
Mentioned in this post
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

You will not be far from the outfit that does a guided tour of the mangrove tunnels: www.kayakfl.com/Lido_Key_Kayak_Tour.html

And back on the mainland there's the Gee Whiz hands on museum - great fun for the kids and adults. It's right as you get off the bridge (mainland end) and go North on 41 for a block or two.

Don't forget to watch for the dolphins making their morning trek south. You should have a really good view from the balcony on a high floor unit. Bring your binoculars.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 22:14
NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

great! thanks for the ideas!!

Binnoculars was a great tip!!

Hope to see dolphins!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

Please keep everyone from getting sunburned. We see folks getting burned on the first day and it spoils the whole vacation. Use a lotion the kids enjoy and use it often. And swimsuits with tops. Keep kids out of tidal pools until you know there is nothing in them

NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

good advice felschurch. I'm a big fan of rash guards, my kids always wear them!!

I am hoping this resort has umbrellas or cabanas on the beach. I plan on calling them bout that today

can you elaborate on the the tidal pools???

I am not even sure what that is!!

thanks so much!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

There are an unlimited amount of things to do in the area for young children:

www.sarasotafl.org

www.heraldtribune.com

www.see-sarasota.com

Sarasota jungle Gardens, Mote, G-Wiz, Myakka State Park, Siesta key Village,

Kayaking, fishing, sailing, and more...

You can get a variety of dining options on St. Armands Circle..there is a free shuttle from the Lido Beach Resort...depends on what you like to eat.

Most places are kid friendly:

www.dinesarasota.com

www.freshoriginals.com

It will be very hot and humid in August..possibility of rain during hurricane season. ;-)

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Lido Beach Resort
Lido Beach Resort
1,634 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Sarasota Jungle Gardens
Sarasota Jungle Gardens
936 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Siesta Key Village
Siesta Key Village
833 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
St. Armands Circle
St. Armands Circle
4,645 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

Tidal pool ..when the tide comes onto beach and leaves water behind in low spots...great place for small kids --out of the waves..but fish/rays can get caught in them...so just walk thru first then give the kids the sand buckets and let them at it!

NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

AHA! ok thank you for that explanation!! I am a nervous mother, so that would send me over the edge!

Thanks for the explanation and warning.

My kids love the beach, so I am so happy we found a place for all of us to relax

Seems the tiki bar here gets pretty good reviews!

I am planning on making good use of the kitchen in the room.

we will dine out a few of the nights.

nearest grocery store location??? I have seen publix listed. Is this close to LBR? This is a full supermarket? I know I can purchase a key lime pie there!!

can we purchase alcohol there?

TY!!

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

Unfortunately GWiz science museum is closed for renovation right now; I'm not sure if they will be open when you are here or not. Another fun thing for kids would be the Circus Museum at the Ringling Museum Complex. Also maybe go up on Longboat and rent some bikes from Backyard Bike Shop (checks or cash only) and bike on the l-o-n-g sidewalk on Longboat, and through Joan Durante Park (which is very near the bike place).

Informal place to eat is Old Salty Dog; on the water, next to the Mote Aquarium.

Mentioned in this post
The Ringling
The Ringling
5,986 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Old Salty Dog
Old Salty Dog
1,557 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

There are three Publix markets not too far away. One is on Longboat, about 5 miles up from Lido Key. A large (50,000 sq. ft.) supermarket with lots and lots of things,... but no liquor (except for wines and beers). Ditto for a Publix on the mainland at the junction of 301 and 41, perhaps 4 miles away. A somewhat smaller Publix on the mainland, at 41 and 12th Street (3 miles) is a bit smaller but does have a liquor store next door.

Mentioned in this post
Lido Key
Lido Key
Sarasota, FL