We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

Hi,

I have been searching the internet and can find no cheap and easy and direct way to get from downtown Sarasota to Gainesville!!

I want to go Jan. 6 and return Jan. 10 and I cannot afford more than $150 r.t. and I don't drive so cannot rent a car.

There are shuttle buses from Sarasota to Tampa Airport; but I would need to be dropped off in downtown tampa to then take the bus from Tampa to Gainesville.

Hoping someone at least knows of a way to get by bus from downtown Sarasota to downtown Tampa.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks for your help in advance.

All the zest,

Deborah

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

See if redcoachusa.com has pickup/drop off point that are convenient.

2. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 January 2013, 23:15
Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

Outside of Red Coach, Greyhound is going to be your only other option. Greyhound has a station in Sarasota, so you wouldn't need to go to Tampa, and also has one in Gainesville. Amtrak doesn't go to Gainesville and there aren't any other modes of public transportation. There aren't good ways to get around the state of Florida for people who don't drive unfortunately.

I just checked your dates and you can get an online round trip fare of $120. Buying at the station is $127. The trip takes over 8 hrs and you don't get into Gainesville until after 10p on the 6th.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

Thanks, no they don't!

But if I can find a way to get from Sarasota to downtown Tampa before 2:00 p.m., then I can take Red Coach to Gainesville...

Can't seem to find a city to city public bus ride from Sarasota to Tampa!

Crazy...

Thanks,

DEL

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

Thanks, I had checked into Greyhound, but don't know if I can face a 10 hour bus ride for a 4 hour trip!

I am 73, not that it stops me from anything, but 10 hours is a long time for anyone!

Well, the best I can think to do is beg a ride from my hosts from Sarasota to Tampa and then take the Red Coach...it just seems so strange I can't just take a direct bus to such a huge University town as Gainesville!

All the zest,

Deborah

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

Florida is not known for providing convenient bus service between cities. It's a rare thing if there is such. Even within cities very few have good bus transportation.

You can also offer to pay your hosts for the return trip in gas to drop you to Gainesville.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

Thanks! So far, I think my best option is to ask my hosts (and pay for gas!) for a ride to Tampa and take red coach from there, and vice versa upon my return, I' sure my host won't mind, but had hoped to avoid this dependancy....well now I know! As I am scouting place to live in Florida, and not having a car, this will be a huge factor in my choice of where....

Thanks for you advice,

All the zest,

Deborah

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

Ah, you've added another factor into the equation ... looking for a place to live.

If you don't care to be near the beach then the Orlando area has a decent bus system but housing prices may be higher because of it's tourist attractions.

Sarasota isn't bad for what you want but your hosts should be able to advise you. Just choose a place that is near a bus route.

Where we live we can walk to everything we need for daily living but of course we don't. lol. In Florida in general it's inconvenient to try to move around without a car.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

There are a number of places that have local bus service. What you won't find is government run transporation between regions. We have a decent bus system here, but it is not designed to run outside of Orange, Seminole, and Osceola Counties. I'm sure it is the same on the coast.

I know when I have visited both the Clearwater/St Pete area and Ft Myers area, I have been able to have drinks and travel the beaches via bus or trollley with ease.

When you are talking about a 150 mile one way trip, you options are going to be limited.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarasota to Gainesville via public transport? Round-trip

Maybe somewhere in the keys? I do want to be able to see the water if I can find an affordable shack...and walk for my grocery needs, etc...maybe I ask the impossible, and then there would be the problem of getting to the airport when i want to travel ...I'm not retiring, but just can't take the winter in New England anymore!

Well, I'll just enjoy it while I'm here, the beaches fantastic!

All the zest,

Deborah