We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

Hello everyone..I was hoping to get some help as I am feeling a bit overwhelmed..Hubby & I will be in the SW region of Florida during the first week of July 2013 we are headed down to take a "look see" to get to know the area a bit..This will be the first of many such trips to come as we are seriously considering it as a retirement location

( been researching for about 2 yrs now) anyway..we are trying to do this as cost effective as possibe but still stay some place nice, clean comfortable and conventiente with a place to get breakfast or breakfast included..This is not a vacation for us as we will take that in the caribbean in March..this is really to get to know the area and all that it has to offer a potential transplant. since I dont know anything about the area its very hard to pick a place..I def want to go to the beach for at least 1 day as well as down town and drive to some gated communities and look at the shopping options..not just high end or vacation stuff..remember it has to fit the bill for everyday life as well..We will also be visiting the Ft Myers and Naples are..but I guess thats for a diferent forum...so anyhelp at all will be Greatly appreciated...Thanks for any input :)

safe travels

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
G8Way Gifts
Gift & Speciality Shops
Keffie's ecoChic Boutique
Gift & Speciality Shops
Le Macaron
Gift & Speciality Shops
Palm Avenue Shops
Art Galleries, Antique Stores, Gift & Speciality Shops
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

I don' t know that I would book ahead. After two years of research have you narrowed it down? Do you have a realtor? We have been here a week and you see everyone looking at the Realty for sale books sitting on the benches in downtown Venice. There are so many communities and I think you will be on the move and then suddenly want to stay in X and explore I' d avoid doubling back each night

Edited: 05 January 2013, 22:13
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

Are you planning on staying inSarasota for the entire week? Or are you thinking about traveling to Naples etc too during the week? If so, that is a flawed plan.

You say you don't know anything about the area, so a week wouldn't be enough to do the Sarasota area let alone SW Florida..after 2 years of research, what exactly are you looking for? As Felschurch asked, have you narrowed it down? Naples, Ft. Myers and Sarasota are very different places.

There are many gated communities all over town...in all price ranges. Have you looked at real estate online? www.realtor.com etc? www.heraldtribune.com

Realtors like www.michaelsaunders.com?

For starters, in what price range are you considering for a home? condo?

How much do you want to spend on your lodging per night while you are visiting? That will narrow the choices.

Also, the week of 4th of July is very busy and many places book early..

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

Hi...when I say I've been researching...I mean that I have narrowed it tot the SW coast and I think that Sarasota along with Naples fits the bill for us as we are beach people and I want a very nice area...after talking with friends they say I need to take ft Meyers out of the picture...I have been in touch with a few realtors ....but since we are no where near ready to make a purchase... Well the ones that are willing to take the time to show us the area are far and few....but I have one who knows that we will not make a purchase for at least 2yrs and is willing to help me learn more about the different areas as well as set a time to show us around....she is sending listings to us based on what we need &. Want...what I needed help with was neighborhoods that we should look at as we'll as the ones to avoid..Along with all of the usual sights for the local area...This is just the first of many trips that will be in our future to Florida I realize we cannot make a decision on a location or a home in one week or in our first time out looking...I'm trying to teach myself about things... I now know that I def want to go to Armand's circle (I think that's how you spell it) lol along with a few other places..like 3rd st and 5th av....I also know that we will go to Siesta beach....we are flying into Sarasota on the 2nd to see my husbands friend and then we have a meeting with a builder in Naples GL homes..on Wed afternoon..we will stay there until Fri or Sat and then head back towards Sarasota stopping along the way at various locations...we don't fly out until Tuesday morning so we do have a couple more days to spend in the Sarasota area...I know that you think it's flawed but this trip will let me know which location we will visit more thoroughly next time..since I think I have a strong interest in both areas....We could spend up to $350,000. But I prefer to spend closer to 250-275.....either way its not the size so much as all the bells & whistles.....I thought about a gated community because we will be in our late 50's & mid 60's and I wanted both the privacy as well as the security... Also since we have no children and will not know anyone I felt it would be like joining a club...we have lots to learn and no time limit so we can afford to take our time... We had friends who moved out of state after visiting a place only a couple of times... Came home sold the house and moved....6 months later they were miserable... It was not what they expected and due to the cost of where we live...they could not afford to move back.....a Hugh mistake for them.... I have one shot to get this right and even though I may over research this it's still worth it..I need a 2 bd +den 2-2.5 bth 2 cg +pool with his & hers closets those are the needs as for the wants...higher end finishes.... No builder grade.

So basically that's it... I prefer not to spend more then $100 pr night on a hotel give or take a few dollars. Wifi not a problem as we travel with a hot spot but the place must be both convenient and Clean! I'm afraid not to book ahead due to the time of year and a holiday week... we could wind up paying through the nose or worse Not be able to get in anywhere decent. Thanks again to you both

Mentioned in this post
Siesta Beach
Siesta Beach
6,657 Reviews
Siesta Key, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Beachwood NJ
Level Contributor
850 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

Hi JEN! MY FAMILY AND I STAYED AT THE HAMPTON INN IN SARASOTA FOR MY UNCLE'S FUNERAL...CHECK OUT MY REVIEW THAT I POSTED. It is centrally located, fairly close to Siesta Key Beach, clean and inexpensive. There is a free continental breakfast, free wifi and also a restaurant in walking distance through the parking lot. Sounds like it would fit your needs. It is the hotel that our family in Sarasota recommended we stay at.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

Since you will be here during 4th of Jluy the only motel options in your price range will be out by I-75. Hampton Inns etc. They are listed under the "Hotel" section with approximate prices and websites. Prices will be before tax.

If you want a social atmosphere, you can look at places on Palmer Ranch, Lakewood Ranch (north) and a few others. Lakewood Ranch has new model homes by a variety of builders to give you an idea of prices etc.

Taylor Morrison will be starting a new gated development sometime in the future called Esplanade at Siesta Key off US 41/Stickney Pt. Rd..some units will be in your price range.

Venice, Fl which is south of Sarasota also has many large gated communities...Stoneybrook (built by Lennar) has new homes.

Use www.realtor.com and type in your price range etc.

2 years from now, things will be different as far as prices.

Homowners Insurance is expensive and will continue to be..factor that in.

Look at realtors websites which list properties online.

There are many things to do in the area. You can look at the Visitors Guide in print or online. www.sarasotafl.org

Also: www.see-sarasota.com www.heraldtribune.com

Siesta Key Beach has a large public parking lot.

Naples/Bonita Springs are not inexpensive and many places west of US 41 will be out of your price range..post on their forum.. it is 1 1/2 hours south of Sarasota.

I always recommend renting for the 1st year before making a permanent move.

You don't know a town before you live there for awhile..avoids big mistakes.

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Bonita Springs
Bonita Springs
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

Thanks Pedinurse ... I'll def take a look at it....we each only have about 8 more weeks till were in the Caribbean... To bad we won't be together for this one... But more about that on the Other forum... I will def take a look at your review as well...see you on another forum lol

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

SRQgirl..... you are a wealth of Information! It is invaluable to someone like me... So I may pick your brain...my advanced apologies...I have made notes of all you stated as well as the web sites. Thank you

8. Re: Sarasota in July..Where to stay thats nice & not to pricey ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 05:17