We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

Hello, all:

We are going on our first long distance driving trip (family of 5) from Philly to Sarasota. Mapquests calulates the trip at approximately 1,135 miles with a driving time of 17-18 hours. I am figuring about 20 hours. We will leave on a Friday and arrive Saturday.

Where along the route should we consider stopping for the night? I'd rather put more time in the first day, so that that we have time to relax and enjoy the rental house on Saturday.

Thoughts on a safe place to stay?

Thank you.

Dan

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,869 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

There are plenty of "safe" places to stay..what type of lodging/town are you looking for? Something off an interstate?

~SRQgirl

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

It looks we'll be on I-295. We won't be sightseeing. Something close to the highway, clean and more on the upscale side rather than a bed bug-ridden motel. I'm wondering if South Carolina is a good stopping point.

As an aside, we are renting a very nice house on Avenida Madera, Siesta Key.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 19:32
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,869 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

South Carolina has lots of options. If you stay with a large reputable hotel/motel chain you will be fine.

Do you have AAA? They can do a triptik for you.

I would also post on the South Carolina forum.. Hard to give you an answer without a town.

Road trips can be fun..

~SRQgirl

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

Thanks, SRQgirl. Fun? I don't know about that-17, 15 and 8, plus two parents, all in a Honda Pilot. Hmmm...

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,869 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

LOL...it's all good.

and in the evening, there is always wine.

~SRQgirl (cheers to the teenage years)

Oakland, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

We drive this route regularly from NJ. Leave NNJ around 4am and hit Washington D.C. for a nice breakfast. We like to stop in Alexandria, quick on and off the highway with nice choices (La Madeleins or Le Pain Quoteidin). Next stretch all the way to Savanah, which is where I would recommend you have your first nights stay. Lots of great lodging right off the highway. Although we never go into the nice part of town, if you feel like it, you could have a nice dinner there. That makes for a quick and relaxing second day of driving.

Bill

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

Sounds good, Bill, except for the 4 a.m. part. I would readily do it; the rest of my family, not so sure!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

Ahhhhhhhh Savanah. Let the kids loose on the riverfront... Get an early start and be there late afternoon.

Easy drive on Sat.

Nice suggestion!

Edited: 24 April 2013, 14:15
Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

Savanah

If you are stopping there i strongly suggest lunch at Mrs.Wilkes best fried chicken in the world!

http://www.mrswilkes.com/

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Halfway Overnight Point (Between Philadelphia and Sarasota?

The trip is almost here. We have, no, correction-my wife has decided that our two dogs should join us. What fun!

We are going to try to make it Savannah where there is a LaQuinta motel, just off I-95. They allow pets with no additional fee. It gets rather good reviews on Trip Advisor.

We plan to leave Friday morning at about 6:00a.m. and with stops, arrive about 8p.m.

Any more advice or tips?

Thank you.

Dan