We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend alone

Which Sarasota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend alone

Hi everyone. I've decided to take my own staycation and I'm coming to Sarasota. I already have the hyatt regency in mind for the hotel. Any thoughts on safety and where I might feel comfortable having a nice dinner alone? The only activity I didn't see the hyatt having was a spa. Any good recommendations close to there? I have driven by St Armand's once but otherwise have never been to this area before so everything will be new to me. Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend alone

This place has true European style service, and as a lone diner you shouldn't feel uncomfortable at all.

http://www.cafeleurope.net/

Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend alone

My wife and I used the spa at Ritz Carlton an thought it was very nice

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend alone

You live in Ft. Myers and have never been here? interesting.

Most of downtown Sarasota is considered safe. The Hyatt is further from the downtown Main St. area than I would choose if I was doing a solo vacation. Are you flexible on location?

If you were to stay at the Holiday Inn Lido Beach you could be in walking distance to St. Armands Circle and across the street from the beach., Lots of sidewalk cafes and peoplewatching...I would prefer this to downtown Sarasota...no contest.

There are many spas in the area and lots of things to do. What are your interests?

I would take a kayaking trip with a guide around the mangroves.

www.kayakfl.com

Rethink the Hyatt. i can recommend some great dining options on St. Armands.

~SRQgirl

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend alone

Thanks for the info. I'm confirmed at the hyatt so that can't be changed. I choose the hyatt because of the actives it offers...kayaking, bike rentals, great pool. They also offer the shuttle to the beach. I was planning on hitting the farmers market downtown Saturday. I feel I'm set on activities (except for possibly the spa) but like I said just one nice dinner would be great. I'm not opposed to sitting barside for service and I'm more of a meat eater than seafood. I was thinking of the Colombian but didn't know if it offers outside dining or maybe a bar area?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend alone

The Columbia does have nice outside seating on St. Armands. Cuban cuisine.

~SRQgirl

Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend alone

At Columbia get the soup with the chick peas

7. Re: Weekend alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:16