We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

Which Sarasota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cambridge. uk
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Topic
one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

Hello.

We (2 adults, 3 teens an 9 year old) will be in Orlando for 3 weeks from 19th Dec.

I would love to visit one of the West Coast beaches, perhaps staying overnight so we can enjoy a sunset (if the weather's kind to us! ,and probably sometime between 26th Dec and New Year's day.

I love natural, low key, beautiful places rather than wall to wall parasols and bars....do you think Sarasota would be a good place to look in to?

I've only just started researching this but any advice on travel, crowds or good value accommodation would be wonderful.

Thanks for any advice x

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,499 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

Yes, there are places to stay in the Sarasota area. Did you want something close ot the beach?

If so, you will have to look at one of the barrier islands. Since you have so many people you will need a condo vs. a hotel room..correct?

Given your preferences, I would suggest Anna Maria Island. There are no high ride condos or fast food places.

You can post on that forum.

Also, Siesta Key or Longboat Key might have something you would like.

You don't mention how much you would like to spend for 1 night ($). That makes a difference in options, too. The prices are more expensive than Orlando.

~SRQgirl

cambridge. uk
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

Thanks Srq-girl for your reply. I will look into those islands...sounds delightful.!

I have no idea about prices for a night as I've never done anything like this before. Do you have a rough estimate of what I should expect to pay at that time of year?

Thanks again and will check out the other forums x

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,499 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

Price will depend on where you stay.. You can go from very expensive to more economical..

~SRQgirl

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

Where you stay will also be limited by the one night stay. At that time of year most condos will require at least a one week stay. If you do not have to be beach front, but a short walk to the beach, there will be more options.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

Gosh, 3 weeks in Orlando. Not exactly my idea of a low key, natural, beautiful place, though definitely appealing to teens I suspect. If you've not already locked in your reservation, perhaps you could shave off a couple of days to spend in the Sarasota area. We're maybe a 2-hour drive from Orlando, but it should still be of interest to the kids -- beachtime, kayaking, aquarium, boat rentals, "real" alligators (not Disney plastic) in Myakka Park, etc. To maximize time for the sunset views and maybe sighting of dolphins or manatees, try to stay on the beach if the budget permits.

With six people in the group I'm guessing you're looking at 2 bedrooms. You might find a place on Anna Maria Island (check out their forum) which might rent for a day or two, and that would be a good choice. Also consider somewhere on Lido Key; that's very close to St. Armands Circle with 120+ upscale shops and restaurants. On Lido both the Holiday Inn and Lido Beach Resort might have something for you. A smaller place right on the beach on Lido is Coquina on the Beach; they have a beachfront 2 bedroom unit for about $300 per night at that time of year. There is a 5-night minimum between Christmas and New Years, but it's usually available after January 1 on a nightly basis.

cambridge. uk
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

That's great, thanks for your help.

Luckily, we have booked a lovely villa in Orlando which has no neighbours and backs onto a beautiful lake (with real alligators, turtles and the odd wandering raccoon!) which is a completel haven to escape back to away from the parks : )

Last time we went for two days to the Homosotta River which was fantastic but this time I am very much looking forward to visiting your beautful coast....can't wait!

Thanks again for all your advice x

Ohio
Level Contributor
132 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

Anna Maria Island is a great place to stay! We will be there for 2 weeks over Christmas. We will drive to Orlando 2 different days for Disney but you couldn't pay me to stay there! It's about a 2 hour drive, the island is the most peaceful, laid back, beautiful place! I do agree it will be tough to find a place on the island for 1 night, and I promise after 1 night you won't feel it was enough time! Sarasota offers chain hotels that would work for a night stay, but I think you should reconsider only visiting for a day! We come from Ohio every year or so and my kids talk about AMI almost daily wanting to know when we will be back!

8. Re: one night family stay over Christmas or New Year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:16