We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Beach - should we visit?

LOL, FL
Level Contributor
320 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Beach - should we visit?

We were told that Turtle Beach is great and are interested in spending a night/day there.

I know the sand isn't as pretty as Siesta Key though and wonder if this will be a good decision.

Would appreciate your opinions.

Also, are there any hotels with tiki bars onsite or in close proximity to hotel? (Not terribly expensive though)

Thanks

Barbara

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Beach - should we visit?

Why don't you stay further north where the beach is gorgeous, and you could still visit Turtle Beach. We rode our bikes there...it is not far from Crescent Beach and the public beach in Siesta Key. I did not like the sand on Turtle Beach but I guess the turtles do. I thought it was okay to briefly visit, but would not want to stay there with a better beach so close by

Edited: 17 August 2014, 13:55
LOL, FL
Level Contributor
320 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Beach - should we visit?

Since we live pretty close to Sarasota we have visited Siesta Key Beach quite a few times (lovely).

The reason I was asking about Turtle Beach is that I met someone who told me it was good for snorkeling and quieter than Siesta Key's sandy beaches.

We like to be able to stay somewhere close to the beach and be able to hang out at an outside Tiki Bar type thing in the evenings without worrying about driving back to hotel (enjoy our martinis!).

Thanks

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Beach - should we visit?

The Inn at Turtle Beach could be what you are looking for. Across the road from the beach, on the bay. Easily walkable to a nearb6y restaurant with an outside deck on the bay. We stayed there severalk years ago, and it was really nice.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
260 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Beach - should we visit?

Not much of a beach, darker coarser sand, steep banks. There is a good bar right there with good food and drinks at reasonable prices. A nice little playground for kids and a small county campground. If you are staying for a few days than maybe you will find it worth checking out, I would not put it on my must see list if I was short of time though. Siesta Key public beach is awesome.

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for Siesta Key
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Beach - should we visit?

The snorkeling area is Point of Rocks, just south of Stickney Point Rd. at the very southern tip of Crescent Beach. Capt. Curt's also has the Sniki Tiki bar in the same area. Turtle Beach is good for shelling, beach has had a lot of erosion problems and there is a pretty steep drop off once you enter the water. I don't know it to be a good place to snorkel, fishing is good there.

6. Re: Turtle Beach - should we visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Sarasota