We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bacteria in Water?

Which Satellite Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Park City Ut
Level Contributor
51 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Bacteria in Water?

Have been hearing about a deadly bacteria in the water in this area. Planning to stay at Las Olas Beach Club and concerned if there is any issue with getting in the water and/or eating local freah seafood. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Orlando
Level Contributor
9,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bacteria in Water?

Deadly bacteria LOL.

I swam about 5 miles from there both Saturday and Sunday. I ate at the restaurants both Saturday and Sunday. Drank tap water both Saturday and Sunday. I'm not dead or sick.

The ocean water is tested and on the state web site every two weeks.

You have been poorly misinformed. I fish in that area (so do many others) and will keep what I catch.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bacteria in Water?

This person is probably referring to the recent fish kill from the algae bloom. It was on TV this weekend and the state is planning on doing a "study" (another word for lets waste some money and not really do anything about the problem) on how to prevent the algae bloom from happening. I would swim in the ocean any day of the week. The Indian River Lagoon is where the fish kill happened and I don't eat fish from this river but have swam in it. The algae bloom tends to happend where we have had a lot of hot weather or too much fresh water coming into the river.

Also there has been a big controversy over the amount of water and pollutants being release into the waters from Lake Okeechobee. Those areas are much further south from us and largest area affected is closer to Naples on the gulf coast.

Also, unfortunately most of the seafood in the restaurants here is not local. We have so many laws on what the fisherman are allowed to catch that the only truly fresh local fish would be Mahi and Swordfish. Both of which come from near the gulf stream which is about 20 miles offshore. Most of the rest is frozen and shipped here from Africa or raised on Fish Farms.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bacteria in Water?

Here is the link to one of the articles about the fish kill: floridatoday.com/article/…

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bacteria in Water?

That makes sense where the info came from. I thought someone had seen that bright orange, harvest moon come up over the ocean the other weekend and thought the world was ending.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bacteria in Water?

LOl surf! yeah its a yearly thing. Been happening every year for at least 20 years. As a kid oysters grew on the dock pilings along the river, clams and fish were plentiful. Now there's not an oyster to be had and very few clams. However a lot of that came from overharvesting, not just polution. It's my understanding that they need another inlet between Sebastian and Port Canaveral that would give the river the clean salt water it needs. And of course thats not gonna happen. They are not going to use precious condo land for something that would benefit nature!

Anyway, travelkid, hope we have helped answer your question. I have not heard about any problems in the ocean in that area.

Park City Ut
Level Contributor
51 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bacteria in Water?

Thanks for all the info - feel much better about plans.

Reply to: Bacteria in Water?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Satellite Beach