We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siesta Key or Longboat Key?

Kings Park, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Siesta Key or Longboat Key?

My husband and I will be traveling to this area in May 2008. We will be using our timeshare exchange. The only availability is the Four Winds at Longboat Key and the Sea Club V in Siesta Key. Do you have any reccomendations for me. We are looking for a place that has great beaches, shopping, restaurants and activities that is quiet but close to attractions and activities. Thanks for any help,

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Siesta Key or Longboat Key?

thanks again SRQ! I wish some people that have recently stayed at Sea Club V would post a review and pics and/or some comments.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Siesta Key or Longboat Key?

Four Winds on Longboat is closer to St. Armands and to some outstanding restaurants than Sea Club V on Siesta. As an offset, one beach on Siesta (Crescent Beach) is superb though the beach on Longboat is very good. Longboat wll be quieter, less crowded. So it depends on what you ranks most importance for you.

Four Winds is several stories tall -- 3 or 4, as I recall (I drive past it about once a week). It has a restaurant on the ground floor that, frankly, is a bit overpriced and not all that spectacular. It is about mid-island on Longboat, directly across from a small shopping center with an excellent grocery, pharmacy, banks, cleaners, liquor store, library, etc. Most units directly face the beach. It is quiet and close to attractions and activities, and there are some outstanding restaurants within a mile or two. There's a bicycle path running the length of Longboat, a park with some good birding, etc.

Eatcoast Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Siesta Key or Longboat Key?

Long Boat Key is WAY more laid back, but you have to drive around to get to the restaraunts and attractions..the beach beautiful... Sieata Key is better, as far as there is a funky downtown area, hopefully walking disatance from where you'll be at , but you'd better check... the beaches are awesome, sunsets beautiful...If you have kids Siesta is the definite spot to go, if it's more of a romantic getaway either would be amazing..OUR FAMILY LOVES BOTH SPOTS!! Renee

Eatcoast Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Siesta Key or Longboat Key?

We LOVE both places but Sieata Key is so much more fun!! Longboat is more upscale, but the atmosphere on the beach is SOOOO relaxing and laidback. Depending on where you are on Sieata Key (we stay at a resort right in the heart of Sieata Key) everything, shops and restaraunts, are within walking distance. It's the cutest town and has a true island casual atmosphere. The sand at both places is like white flour--so awesome! Great sunsets...we'll be going to Sieata Key this coming Friday---I dream of this vacation every year!!!! Renken

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Siesta Key or Longboat Key?

Renken made some good points in trying to compare Siesta and Longboat -- and that's a difficult thing to do! You'll find that either place will give you a wonderful beach vacation. For me, Siesta is more of a family (e.g., with kids along) place and with more activities (for example, you can do parasailing and rent jet skis on Siesta, but not on Longboat). Also more nightlife. Longboat is quieter, more laid back. Both have some nice restaurants, though I personally think that Longboat has the edge in truly excellent restaurants. Siesta has more of a tropics feel to it, Longboat maybe more sophisticated? Siesta is closer to a fantastic state park (Myakka); Longboat is closer to St. Armands for shopping, to downtown Sarasota, Selby Gardens and Ringling Museum.

But again, either one is a wonderful place to spend some time!

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Siesta Key or Longboat Key?

My family just returned from a eleven day stay at Siesta Key. We thought we would give it a try since we usually vacation at Longboat Key. I must admit I found Siesta Key a little disappointing. The main reaon we had chosen SK is to provide more activities for our teenage sons. We picked a house near the village for easy access, unfortunately there was nothing in the village that interested them or me. We ended up spending alot time driving them off the island to go shopping, dining, mini golfing, bowling and sailing. I also found the restaurant they had on the island were of typical bar fare nature ie Daquiri Deck, Salty Dog, SKOB (additionally SKOB's kitchen is closed so they do not have there normal menu). We did like Napolis pizza and the breakfast we had at the Broken Egg was wonderful. After polling my family we all decided that we will be returning to Longboat Key for any future vacations on the Gulf.

17. Re: Siesta Key or Longboat Key?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2009, 22:15