We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

Indiana
2 posts
Save Topic
kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

My husband, 13 month old son and I are traveling to Siesta Key in 2 weeks! Where are the places to dine that are kid friendly but have great food?

Thanks

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

Just about every restaurant in town is kid friendly.

www.freshoriginals.com

www.dinesarasota.com

and read the reviews under "dining" on this site (siesta key) and the sarasota TA site.

Lots of recommendations on the forums as well.

~SRQgirl

Cincinnati, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

Pretty much every place is kid friendly. We just got back from Siesta Key on Saturday. We have a 3 year old. Our favorite places were Coasters(Before you cross the drawbridge on Stickney Point), Salty Dog, Daiquiri Deck.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

Windz,

No offense to CabanaBoy, but Coasters food has been inconsistent to say the least.

The Daquiri Deck and Salty Dog are OK, but not what I consider great food.

What type of menu and price are you looking for?

Bella Roma and Cafe Gabbiano are Italian with very good food.

The Lobster Pot has goos seafood. Mattisons Siesta Grille has a very good menu.

Blase Cafe is great but more expensive.

Solorzanos has decent pizza.

Village Cafe and Broken Egg for breakfast/lunch.

All are on Siesta Key.

There are many others on the mainland.

~SRQgirl

Cincinnati, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

No offense taken, but I will have give and honest impression of the restaraunts. Lobster Pot was expensive, I ordered the Lobster duchesse (which was the most expensive). I didn't care for it, but I'm sure someone else might. So that is a lot of my own fault. Napoli's was really good too and kid friendly. Coasters had extremely good service and good food. Solarzanos is not really dine in friendly or kid friendly. They have high top tables and it's cash only. Broken Egg was really good. Salty Dog, Daiquiri Deck, Coasters, were best for our situation. Bella Roma was expensive and did not look very kid friendly either. Captain Curts was kid friendly, City Pizza would be okay to dine in. Their pizza is not as good as Solarzanos. SKOB looked okay too, however they do not have their full menu right now. Their kitchen is under construction. They are using Napoli's kitchen. So you may want to check first.

Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. To answer SRQ girl's questions about the type of menu prefered. We are not picky eaters and will eat about anything (seafood, pizza, Italian and ect.)

Any feedback about Turtle's for Sunday brunch, Phillippi Creek Grill and Captain Curt's? I'm looking to spend no more than $15-20.00 per entree.

Also any feedback about Sarasota Jungle Gardens and Shelby Gardens?

CabanaBoy20- Any luck finding dolphins? Where?

It has been over 20+ years since I visited Siesta Key. I'm sure that I will be shocked of all of the changes. I'm counting down the days!

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

Windizz

Cincinnati, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

My wife is a vegetarian. So Curts didn't appeal to her. I had the fried Grouper and didn't really care for it. The atmosphere was good and family oriented. It is in your price range for sure. We didn't go to Turtles though or Phillipi Creek.

We did see about 8-10 dolphins. I recommend the Sea Explorer tour out of Mote aquarium. They showed us some really impressive realestate and gave a good presentation about the history of Siesta Key, Lido Key and the surrounding eco systems. However, part of me wishes we would have done the dolphin tour from their sister company Lebarge. They offer a full bar, some food, music and guarantee a dolphin sighting. To be really honest, I just wanted to see dolphins. The houses were cool, but I didn't really care about any of the other sea animals or plants. Also if you are interested in tours, I recommend the Gator Gal at the Myakka State Park. Being from Ohio, everytime I travel to Florida I look for Aligators. However I've only seen two ever that weren't in the zoo. We saw probably 30 of all sizes that day. It's $10 and only an hour long. I hope you have a good time.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

The meals I hade a Turtles the last 2 times were not very good and the service wasn't much better. Comments fro other TA travelers have mentioned similar experiences. Brunch might be OK.

On the mainland Barnacle Bills has some good seafood.

Phillippi Creek Oyster Bar is a good place for kids.

The pizza at Mattisons Siesta Grille is good.

Selby Gardens is a great place located on Sarasota Bay.

Myakka Park does have the Gator Gal boatride which you would enjoy. Seeing alligators depends on the water termperature etc.

It is very hot and humid here, but you will see birds and other wildlife.

Mote Marine Aquarium is a must do. Definitely go out on the Sea Explorer, which is an extra charge.

The Ringling Musuem is very special too, and takes hours to see.

Go to the Sarasota TA page and click on Attractions and Dining at the top of the page. You can read reviews and get descriptions of restaurants and places to go. There are also lots of "tourist" books all over town that contain coupons and ideas.

~SRQgirl

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

SRQ you have been right on target on all your posts regarding the restaurants in Siesta Key. We have just returned from an eleven day stay there and quite honestly I found the restaurants on Siesta Key very disappointing. I found the Daquiri Deck and the Old Salty Dog served typical bar fare and medicore at best. As mentioned above SKOBS did not have use of their kitchen. Honestly on the weekends during the early evening hours I did not feel that SKOBS or the Daquiri Deck were appropriate for young children, it was extremely loud and rowdy. We did enjoy the Broken Egg for breakfast and my teenagers raved about Napolis subs and pizza. We tried to dine at Bella Roma's on a Sunday evening but they were closed . However, their menu looked very interesting. We ended up eating at restaurants on the mainland and on Longboat Key. They included Columbia (kid friendly), Ciao Italia (very kid friendly), Colony:Monkey Bar side (kid friendly) and Pattigeorge (not kid friendly).

illinois
Level Contributor
394 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

Hi windizz:

Here is something I posted a while back - These are all place that are not chains for the most part and are unique to the area with a vacation feel.

Beach/waterfront restaurants:

Beach Club on Anna Maria Island, right on the beach - fun!

Sharkeys Pier in Venice, far but fun

Pops Sunset Grill on the south end of Casey Key, hard to find, very casual, drive Casey at night from the north - spectacular houses!

Turtles on the Bay south end of Siesta (kinda old foggie)

Phillipe Creek on 41 - creek front, can be a little pricey, but casual

Old Salty Dog on St. Armands - super casual right on the water - Skip the Salty Dog on Siesta - not much fun!

Crow's Nest in Venice - on the water

Coaster's - on the water at the Stickeny Bridge - so so food, trivia, good drinks, happy hour, cute shops nearby. Can get a older crowd.

Moore's Stone Crab Longboat - $$$$ but great food, old Florida casual.

Non waterfront:

Turtle Beach Pub - happy hour, tiny, casual, good food, walk to it from the beach - so so service at best - crabby staff - very crabby

Tommy Bahamas in St. Armands - consistently good, but a chain

Captain Curts - great drinks but inconsistent food - very casual - great karaoke! Tiki Bar across the parking lot, not on the water.

Siesta Key Oyster Bar - Bar scene later, decent food happy hour

Daquari Deck - awful food, decent drinks, fun people watching happy hour

All of these places are casual and all kid friendly - trust me I have 4 of them - kids that is.

Have a great time - the weather should be hot but perfect for swimming!

C

10. Re: kid friendly restaurants in Siesta Key or close by.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key