We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lido, Siesta or Elsewhere for Family w/ 4yo and 7yo?

Which Siesta Key hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Lido, Siesta or Elsewhere for Family w/ 4yo and 7yo?

I've seen great reviews and suggestions for Lido, Siesta and others. We're a family with two young children looking to be on the beach in a two bedroom condo or suite and within walking distance (or shuttle like Lido Beach Resort) to dining and shopping. Prefer not overly crowded, but we're going in July or August so I assume the crowds won't be huge anyway? We'll have a car to take us to museums or other activities throughout our stay. Any suggestions for our young family?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lido, Siesta or Elsewhere for Family w/ 4yo and 7yo?

The Lido Beach Resort is a great choice and during the summer you can get a great rate. Nothing will be crowded. Great beach, location and rooms etc.

On Siesta Key there are many condos that would be good choices, but you won't be close to St. Armands.

Places like Sea Club V, Crystal Sands, Jamica Royale,Sea Crest Apartments, Siesta Sunset Crescent Beach and many others get good reviews.

YOu can se more on www.vrbo.com, www.siesta4rent.com or www.siestakeychamber.com.

~SRQgirl

Kansas City
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lido, Siesta or Elsewhere for Family w/ 4yo and 7yo?

Thanks for the response, SRQGirl. I will look into the other places you suggest and check out those reviews, too. I am sure you can understand how tremendously helpful all of this input on TripAdvisor is!! Without the knowledge of having seen it firsthand it's so hard to plan your vacations - especially with small children. I appreciate your help and I'm sure I'll have more questions!! :o)

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lido, Siesta or Elsewhere for Family w/ 4yo and 7yo?

You don't mention the length of your stay. Some condos have a minimum rental period. ~SRQgirl

Kansas City
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lido, Siesta or Elsewhere for Family w/ 4yo and 7yo?

6 or 7 days. How does the Sarasota area compare to the Beaches of South Walton area? Do you know much about that area? We have a friend with a house near Seacrest Beach, but aren't sure if we'd enjoy that more than Sarasota. Any thoughts on that?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lido, Siesta or Elsewhere for Family w/ 4yo and 7yo?

Yes. I am familiar with the beaches in Destin and Seagrove Beach etc. The sand quality on Crescent Beach on Siesta Key is comparable.

I think you will enjoy this area very much.

The Sarasota area has many attractions for young children, as I mentioned. There are many nice places to shop and dine, as well. There is also a beach south of here, in the town of Venice, noted for it's sharks teeth. (Big deal for kids)

It will be hot and humid in July, but so is the Panhandle of FL.

You won't be disappointed, trust me.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lido, Siesta or Elsewhere for Family w/ 4yo and 7yo?

Lido Beach Resort would be a good one, but there are also some nice condos on Lido (on the same beach and in the same good location) if you don't need a hotel-type accomodation. You and your kids should really enjoy the trip. Nearby there is a wonderful aquarium that will fascinate them, and not far away is a hands-on science museum if you want to get them out of the sun for a few hours. But I suspect you'll spend most of your time on the beach.

7. Re: Lido, Siesta or Elsewhere for Family w/ 4yo and 7yo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 16:20