We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

Brantford
Level Contributor
298 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

Okay, I'm a patient person. I've rented condo units and houses all over Fla. for many, many years . . And sometimes, unexpectedly, things can go wrong. . . life is like that, and we can be patient. Life is an adventure, after all.

However, things really have changed down here, folks. This year, for the first time, I'm in a unit in Crystal Sands on Siesta Key (yes, right now, at this very minute) in which I have no cable . . . and all due to non-payment by the owner.

For the first three days, I had no air conditioning. It was very hot, but we survived okay and within a couple of days, they fixed it, (many thanks to the management office).

However, today, I have no cable. . . .

We decided to take the initiative and called the cable company directly (since that's the number they blasted on the screen, and we wondered why the cable wasn't working) and they told us that the owner has not paid the cable. Apparently, not for quite a while. . .

I will tell you that for the first time, there are a ton of places all over the area that are up for sale, and clearly, some folks are not able to make it financially. And when folks are charging a significant ticket for a weekly rental and they're still not paying the cable, this is not at all good. . . not a good sign . . . and as much as the beach is lovely, I'm not impressed.

Caveat emptor.

Ohio
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

Shelley-YOu are much more patient than I could be. That is terrible that you are having to deal with this on your vacation. I have been checking out tripadvisor for a condo in December at Siesta Key, Longboat, Anna Marie or somewhere. If you are checking the area out and come up with any good suggestions for me let me know please. Preferable ocean front, nice beach, high rise condo.

If I were you I would definitely try to get my money back from whoever you went through.

Thx.

Oak Ridge, NC
Level Contributor
604 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

Shelly,

That is really NOT cool!!! There are three things that we can not live without, food, air-conditioning, and cable TV. We only take one big vacation a year, and I would be really mad if I was having to stay under those conditions. I too would want a big portion of my money back, if not all. Did you rent from Crystal Sands or was it direct from the owner? You might be able to get some help out of CS, or at least get the owner on report. Since the complex dictates the 2 week min, they probibly also have a list of what the owners have to provide, TV's, Air, towels, etc.... I would try to see what help I could get from them. What condo number is it so that everyone will know not to rent from this owner?

Good Luck!!! Gollyga

Brantford
Level Contributor
298 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

Cable is now back on and the air was repaired. I will update you all when I get home next week!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

Shelley-Good to hear things are getting back in order again. Cant wait to hear your update next week. Find me a nice highrise beachfront condo for December.

Black Forest
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

We are at Sunset Royale. This is a appartment house direct in front of Crescent Beach. Only across the street. Check www.sunsetroyale.net. We have arrived this afternoon and love it. They have one and two bedroom condos. I can really recommend this.

Have a nice time in December!

Ohio
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

Black Forest Cherry-Thanks I will check this out. Please do a trip report when you get back maybe I can get more ideas. Have fun.

Black Forest
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

We are in Condo 212. I'll report later.

8. Re: A big warning on fla condo and house rental units . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 14:20
Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key