We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October trip...where to stay????

Aurora, Ilinois
Level Contributor
438 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
October trip...where to stay????

Hi,

I need help with our fall trip!!! We were originally planning on staying in Destin, but flights are too expensive - I'm looking at some great deals for direct flights to Sarasota - interested in Siesta Key and Longboat Key - where should we stay? It is just my husband and I (one-bedroom condo would be best), and our top priority is DIRECTLY on the beach with a balcony...we will probably rent a car to get to restaurants, explore the area, etc. but it would be nice to be within walking distance to a few places....any thoughts?

We've only been to the Siesta Key area once (with the kids) and stayed at Palm Bay Club - we really enjoyed it and are considering it again, but we'd like to try someething different...I'll also post this on the Longboat Key forum....thanks so much for any advice you can give!

:) alired

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October trip...where to stay????

You don't mention how long you'll be staying/budget. Some places (condos) have a 1 or 2 week minimum.

I would suggest the Lido Beach Resort www.lidobeachresort.com on Lido Key. They have a shuttle to St. Armands for shopping. The rooms in the south tower are the nicest.

You've stayed at the Palm Bay Club which is nice, so you could try looking at Crystal Sands, Jamaica Royale, Midnight Cove-Gulfside, Sea Club V or Crescent on Siesta Key www.crescentsiestakey.com.

On Longboat and Siesta Key TA pages, you could read reviews under the "Hotel" section/specialty lodging

~SRQgirl

Aurora, Ilinois
Level Contributor
438 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October trip...where to stay????

Thanks...we're looking at staying five nights, and we'd like to keep the budget to $150 a night (or so)...I'll check those places out more! Thanks again :)

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October trip...where to stay????

There are a few places that will be in your price range..but not many. Beachfront condos can get a premium.

~SRQgirl

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October trip...where to stay????

For less than a week you could try the Sea Crest Apartments..not sure about rates, but they do have some units on the beach.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October trip...where to stay????

Several other properties on Lido Key might offer better rates than Lido Beach Resort and still give you the on-the-beach experience. Consider Suntide Island Club or Gulf Beach Resort. While they are literally on the beach, rooms are perpendicular to the water if that is important to you.

On Longboat, you can get short-term rentals in your price range at Turtle Crawl Inn. A nicer place, for slightly more money (about $160 per night offseason) is The Beach; their reservations are handled by ResortQuest. Though Turtle Crawl and The Beach are relatively close to some excellent restaurants, neither is within walking distance to a large variety of shops; you'd have to drive a few miles to get to somewhere like St. Armands.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October trip...where to stay????

We've stayed on Longboat and Lido many times and although I love them, their beaches can't compare with Siesta Key! Palm Bay Club in Grand Tower with an east view runs $150/night for a 1 bedroom.

Summer

Aurora, Ilinois
Level Contributor
438 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October trip...where to stay????

Thanks for the info everyone...we loved Siesta Key's beach, and I don't think we'd want anything less perfect than that - so we're leaning towards staying at Palm Bay Club again....but I'm still looking at other alternatives! Thanks for all the great advice :)

chicago, il
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October trip...where to stay????

Look at Crescent Towers too. It is a studio but with all the space of a 1 bedroom, just no wall between the sleeping area and the living area. It is directly beachfront with both ground floor and 2nd floor units. You can see each unit on their websit, www.crescenttowers.com.

Aurora, Ilinois
Level Contributor
438 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October trip...where to stay????

I'm definitely interested in Crescent Towers, in fact that's our first choice, but they don't take reservations for less than a week until within 60 days prior to arrival - we're going for 5 days. Although I know it's only a few weeks away (we can contact them on Aug. 10th), I'm afraid to wait that long to make reservations - do you think they'd still have availability, or is it usually booked up quickly? I'd hate to pass up some other accommodations in hopes of getting into Crescent Towers, then find out that they are booked.....

chicago, il
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October trip...where to stay????

I have no idea how quickly Crescent Towers books up but it is a small property with only about 20 units beachfront. I understand your dilema, I would not want to wait to book something either. You could call both there and your second choice and found out if they have a lot available right now and if not, you know you have to decide now. Good luck!

Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key