We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

I am planning to visit Siesta Key for the first time in May 2009. I am looking at staying around May 22, 2009, for approximately 5 or 6 nights. It is just me and my husband. We are looking for oceanfront and, of course, a good deal. We are planning on driving. We visited Destin last year and had good luck with VBRO; however, I don't know where to begin with Siesta Key. Would love to find something for under $150 a night.

Also any recommendations for things to do and restaurants to visit while on the island? Just mainly looking for fresh grilled fish sandwiches, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

meant to add that we are looking for the Crescent Beach area...if the rates are right, we would stay 7 nights. We only need 1 bedroom...would prefer 2 bathrooms but 1 would be okay.

We would really like a view of the beach from our room since we only see it once every year (if we are lucky).

TN
Level Contributor
125 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

Refer to the post by ELL1325 on 3/12 and look at the reply by SRQgirl. She gives a great list of the best places to stay. Several of those should fit in your price range, even though you might not have a view of the beach from your room in all of them, as you mentioned you would like to have in your second post.

What activites are you interested in? The Sarasota area has a bit of everything, depending on how much time you want to spend away from the beach!

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

We are just looking to stay on the beach, shop some, and dine out....just looking for a relaxing vacation away from work. No kids...we do enjoy going to maybe one attraction or so while on vacation but not sure what is in the area...I'm not 100% set on having a beach view from the room (it would be nice)...I think I would rather have a cleaner/nicer room. I do want to be directly on the beach though (not having to cross a street, walk a 1/2 mile, etc.)

Is anyone familiar with the Palm Bay Resort?

Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

We stay each year at the Sandpiper Beach Club in Siesta Key. 2 bedroom condos, very nice, with pool. Ocean front and they have large umbrellas that you can rent by the week that they set up each morning for you - a nice add. Very convenient to restaurants and stores. Beach is beautiful. Condo rates are typically $1000 or less for the week at that time. For something to do, Mote Aquarium runs some different tours.

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for Siesta Key
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

A few website you may want to check for rentals:

www.vacationrentals.com

www.siestakeychamber.com

www.rentalo.com

www.homeaway.com

All of these will give you lots to choose from for Beachfront and/or close proximity to the beach. You will definetly be able to find something within your budget in May. Keep in mind that you are traveling during a holiday week, you are smart to be planning this far in advance to find something you like.

In Siesta Village I like the Blase Cafe, the Siesta Key Oyster Bar - better known as the SKOB, the Hub is also good. On the south end across from Turtle Beach the Turtle Beach Pub and Marina makes a good burger and fish sandwiches. All these places are very casual. If you are taking a drive the Casey Key Fish House south of Sarasota is fun and on the water, anyone can give you directions when you are here.

Lots of things to do, every kind of watersports and fishing trips available. The Ringling House and Museum, Mote Marine's Bay Exploer boat trip, trip to the Canopy walk at Myakka State Park, shopping and outdoor dining at St. Armands Circle just to name a few.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

The good news is May is cheaper than March. Memorial Day is May 25, so that weekend could have more visitors than normal.

Have ou looked at Tropical Shores Resort/Sara Sea Inn? www.tropicalshores.com

Not gulf front, but a short walk.

As mentioned, check out the list I posted in a prior response.

Some places have a minimum stay requirement..

Would a studio work vs. a 1 BR??

There are many fun places for a fish sandwich such as the Siesta Key Oyster Bar in Siesta Village.

You can rent kayaks, boats, canoes etc etc...

What are your interests? Want rescommendations for dining off Siesta Key?

~SRQgirl

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out the Sara Sea online..it looks nice; however, I did an online chat with guest services and they were not overly friendly. They were not willing to deal on the price either. They told me that the month of May is the highest season. I can look at other comps. and tell that is not the case.

A studio would work for us as well. We are just wanting to relax, check out an attraction or two, and some good restaurants. We would be willing to venture away from the immediate area (but not too far as we don't want to get lost) for good food. We are pretty easy going as far as things to do...depends on what is in the area...

I have been searching vrbo, and the other online places religiously for the past week...I've found a few possibilities but does not seem to be "the one"...I'm beginning to think I want the impossible (beach front view, no streets to cross, and a condo pretty much right at the beach, for a good price nonetheless)...was hoping as bad as the travel industry is right now that there would be some deals to be had...I'm not finding them though. Anyone have any suggestions? Seems like individual owners are the best way to go...I've had offers for less than $800 for 7 nights at Palm Bay Club (but no view). I just know for sure that I want to be on Crescent Beach.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

Take a look at VRBO #15838. It is at Palm Bay in the clubside buildings and was just remodeled. I booked it for a week in June. The owner, Frank is very nice. I stayed in his Tower unit at Palm Bay last fall. It's a very large unit and most of it is nice, but needs a little updating. He gave me a great deal on the Clubside unit for June, so if you don't have to have the view, this would be a good choice. Personally, we spend most of our time outside, so don't care about the view. Hope this helps.

Summer

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

Summer,

I just sent you a message.

ttugal@hotmail.com

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

One other question....is Palm Bay Club on Crescent Beach? I am a little confused about the area and trying to figure out which places are on Crescent Beach.

Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key