We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

I am planning to visit Siesta Key for the first time in May 2009. I am looking at staying around May 22, 2009, for approximately 5 or 6 nights. It is just me and my husband. We are looking for oceanfront and, of course, a good deal. We are planning on driving. We visited Destin last year and had good luck with VBRO; however, I don't know where to begin with Siesta Key. Would love to find something for under $150 a night.

Also any recommendations for things to do and restaurants to visit while on the island? Just mainly looking for fresh grilled fish sandwiches, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

Crescent Beach is south of Siesta Key Public Beach.

It is around the Crescent Plaza (Stickney Pt. Rd/Midnight Pass Rd.) area.

The Palm Bay Club is north of Crescent Plaza.

I'll try to find a map.

~SRQgirl

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

WWW.siestakeychamber.com

Since there really isn't any line in the sand, I would call it a draw, but it is closer to Siesta Beach.

The sand is about the same in both places. Crescent Beach doesn't have a large public parking lot so it is more private.

~SRQgirl

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

The beach at Palm Bay is wide and very nice!

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

Can someone give me a rundown of the difference between Jamaica Royale and Palm Bay Club? I have narrowed it down to 2 places...both units are saying they are remodeled...one is 1 bed/bath the other is 2 bed/bath, but it is just the two of us so space is not that big of a concern...neither have views but no roads to cross either...about $300 more at the P.B.Club.

what are the pros/cons of the two resorts? beach? chairs? things to do nearby? etc? trying to narrow it down so I can book and just look forward to it. :)

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

If you click on the "Hotels" section of this TA page and then click on the "specialty lodging" subsection, you can read reviews on many condos including these 2 places.

As far as things to do in the area, you would have to walk/drive to Siesta Village or Crescent Plaza or mainland Sarasota from either place.

I recommend both of these condo developments on a regular basis.

Some condo owners leave beach items.

Have you looked at photos of both places and asked questions?

~SRQgirl

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

I have...from the pictures that are posted, they both look nice and updated. I can't tell much about how far the walk to the beach is on either place but there aren't roads to cross...

Cons of the Jamaica Royale would be that it would be

a Sunday to Sunday instead of Saturday to Saturday so we would probably have to take an extra day off work.

Another con was that the master was two double beds which I'm not sure about...

The con of Palm Bay was that it was almost $300 more...but it appeared to be more spacious...we probably wouldn't be in the room a lot though unless there is bad weather or we are sleeping.

Based on reviews, both places are nice...the J.R. has several guest comments posted about the cleanliness and updating...the Palm Bay Resort also looks newly remodeled...

I'm trying to narrow down but having a very hard time and my husband is leaving it all to me which is making it all the more difficult for me to decide.

Can you get chair rentals at either place? Just wondering if they have beach service? Do either places have tiki bars nearby? We enjoyed that feature at Destin West.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

There really aren't any beach Tiki bars on Siesta Key. No restaurants on the Gulf side either. (There is a small Tiki Bar in Crescent Plaza, near Capt. Curts)

It is not as commercialized as Destin, but the beach sand is very similar.

The closest place to shop would be Siesta Village. It is about 1 1/2 miles away to the north.

Crescent Plaza has places for sports rentals which is to the south.

There are places to kayak and rent boats etc on Siesta. Any interest in those types of activities?

Can give you some names of places.

~SRQgirl

TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

I think we would probably enjoy a sunset cruise....are there any places that offer this?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

Check out these 2 websites:

www.siestakeysailing.com

www.sarasotasailing.com

also, Marina Jacks has a dineer/sunset cruise

and LeBarge Tropical Cruises has a "party boat" type atmosphere.

www.sarasotafl.org

~SRQgirl

TN
Level Contributor
125 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First timer needs recs for a place to stay in May

tntechgirl,

I have stayed at Jamacia Royale quite often. The type and quality of the unit varies since they are individually owned. The distance to the beach also varies depending on which unit you are renting. If you will give me the unit number you are looking at, I can tell you how far the walk to the beach will be.

Are you from Cookeville or did you just go to TN Tech?

Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key