We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

Which Siesta Key hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

My large family of 7 will be flying to florida from cleveland area. Is it best to fly into fort meyers or tampa. price / milage / convienence???? We will be staying in Siesta Key in early summer june or july.

Highland, MI
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

We flew in from Detroit and the price was the same for both Ft. Myers and Tampa. We chose Ft. Myers, because I have a cousin that lives there. Ft. Myers is right on I-75, very easy to get on and off to Siesta Keys. Other people we talked to while we were there said the same and have flew into Tampa and Ft. Myers and they liked Ft. Myers better. I believe Siesta Keys is right in between both cities, so it really doesn't matter for milage.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

ft meyers "rsw" was great to fly into. quick in and out and the car rental desks are right across the street. very convinient to everything. and about an hour to siesta key beach. i think sarasota airport is closer to the siesta key beach thou.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

Sarasota (SRQ) is indeed more convenient, but it is a "second tier" airport, and so it's highly unlikely that you'd find a really competitive fare flying into Sarasota.

Tampa is a little bit closer, but it's less than a half-hour difference. Both are primarily interstates to Siesta, to little to no difference there.

Tampa is bigger, with more amenities...which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

We are also flying to Siesta Key from Cleveland. I found the airfare rates much cheaper ($161.00 compared to $209.00) to fly into Fort Myers (RSW). We are traveling in December. According to MapQuest, the drive time is only a few minutes longer from Fort Myers. RSW is an easy airport to get in/out of. And as previously posted, the car rentals are conveniently located. Have fun on your trip!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,372 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

I fly out of both Tampa and Ft. Myers.

Go where you can get the best airfare and car rental rates..

~SRQgirl

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for Siesta Key
Level Contributor
978 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

From Siesta Key - Sarasota Airport is roughly 20 minutes, from Tampa Airport about 1hr 15 min. and 1 and half hours from Ft. Myers.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

Have flown in many , many many times.. 90 % of the time is thru TPA(Tampa)...better Airline choices, generally lower car rental prices...more flights per day offered (Schedules)...and the drive down to Siesta Key is more scenic..over the breathtaking Sunshine Skyway and Tampa Bay.

If you can get a better price and good time schedule for your family from RSW (Fort Myers) then go for it.

Would love to fly directly into SRQ (Sarasota/Bradenton) however every time I have done a price comparison it is considerably higher and with the most connections from my originating locale.....perhaps for you..it would be a match.

The game which is Airline pricing and scheduling is a gamble..if you see something you like book it. Just be aware, that schedules change, especially if you book a good deal in advance. Having said this..I book airfares way in advance for a variety of reasons.......and in doing so, even though it can have it's advantages...I can not recall when I last flew the same itinerary that I initially booked!

Have fun planning... Siesta Key is such a special place..

upstate NY
Level Contributor
257 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

I like Tampa due to nonstop flights for me and the car rentals are less. Ft. Myers airport is very nice though and easy to navigate around.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
106 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

As others have stated, I think the price is the big deal breaker- RSW(Ft. Myers) is a great airport- it started out like Sarasota, but the demand grew and so did the aiport-prices are still great, but since the city is not as congested as Tampa- they have laid it out very well- very easy trip from there to Siesta. Tampa may be a few minutes closer, but you will have traffic issues. Have a great trip!

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
164 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: better airport to fly into sieta key tampa verses fort meyer

I guess we're lucky in that flying into Sarasota (SRQ) turns out to be cheaper or approximately the same when flying out of Richmond, VA. It is so much more convenient. The car rentals are right beside the baggage claim area and getting in and out of the airport is a breeze. Even if the price is somewhat higher, we still choose to fly into SRQ. And I found the car rental prices considerably cheaper than Tampa.