We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indoor or Outdoor Pool?

Which Siesta Key hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Indoor or Outdoor Pool?

After some helpful advice we are looking at Siesta Key for our beach week on our upcoming Florida holiday (beginning June).

I've been looking at houses rather than condos (although not decided yet), as even though there are only 2 of us, we like the idea of a private pool, garden and grill for those odd days where we fancy a change from the sea.

Looking at the pools, some of them are outdoor and some are in what looks like a big conservatory. I've never lived anywhere with a pool or rented anywhere with a pool so I was just wondering if anybody could advise the benefits and drawbacks of both? Do the ones in the conservatories get very hot?

Thanks

Susan

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indoor or Outdoor Pool?

It is probably a pool cage, made of screen, not glass. The advantages to this are that the pool stays cleaner and the screens keep the bugs out. The pool can be a bit cooler as it does not get the direct sun as much. In June it won't matter, the water should be just right.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indoor or Outdoor Pool?

Thanks so much - that makes sense.

If the pool has a pool cage is it still nice to lie on loungers beside it? This is all new to me! Would you recommend a pool with a cage or without if that was the only differentiating factor on venue?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indoor or Outdoor Pool?

Pool cages are just large screens to keep out the bugs ie Mozzies. You will find warmth, sun.

Some say they are about a 5-10 spf for acting like a sunscreen but I am not so sure. Make sure you still use high factor suncream for your pale scotish skin.

You want them, you need them. And would NOT want (or in fact find) an indoor pool.

Enjoy Siesta key you will be amazed.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indoor or Outdoor Pool?

Thanks amanx, and for your SIesta Key recommendation, it looks like the balance we need between quiet beaches and busier night life.

I have very pale, easily burned, scottish skin, I use max spf in Scottish summers so I'll definately be using max spf, hat etc. Maybe I'll come home slightly less blue :-)

It's interesting because I hadn't seen any houses with pool screens on anna maria island but there do seem to be some on Siesta Key. Do they have a bigger bug problem to necessitate them?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indoor or Outdoor Pool?

It could be that more of the houses on Siesta are bayside rather than beachfront?

The further from the beach, the less breezes and the more bugs? Or it could be the cottages on anna maria are older. I don't know really.

But I do knwo yo can't use a pool on the mainland where I am w/o a pool screen but you can more often f near the beach.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indoor or Outdoor Pool?

Aaah, so I need to check out distance from the beach if there isn't a screen.

Thanks for that, I wish I needed to know about outdoor pools, but not much of a requirement in central belt scotland.

7. Re: Indoor or Outdoor Pool?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 20:17