We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overload

Which Siesta Key hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Overload

I'm overloaded. I've viewed so many properties and now I'm looking for some experienced views. I know these questions are subjective so I'd appreciate some opinons and the positives and negatives of each.

-Gulf Front (if I can find one cheap enough), bayside, near gulf or on the intracoastal waterway

-We plan to spend a reasonable amount of time each day, how do you find a screened lanai instead of a balcony/terrace

-Benefits of a 'private' beach access and also if an advert says private access is it private to that property or do they just use it?

-How busy are the public beach areas?

-How do the private beach areas work? Is it from the property down to the shore or is it just a sandy area in front of the property and can non residents walk along the beach at private areas?

-We want to be in walking distance of Siesta Key Village, any recommended areas?

Thanks again :-)

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overload

How much do you want to spend for the week and when are you planning to visit? Rates vary.

How many bedrooms?

You posted once or twice before, but I don't remember your requests other than the lanai question and the negotiating question.

If you plan on spending most of your time on the beach, you should get something close by...defined as a short walk or beachfront.

The bayside is nice but you have to cross a road to get to the beach (Gulf side).

Many places have a screened porch.

Anyone can walk the length of Siesta Key...there aren't any fenced in areas.

Some condos/motels have cabanas and their own beach chairs.

Having said all this, most places that have screened in porches and are in walking distance to Siesta Village are located across the street from Siesta Beach on Beach Rd.

Exceptions are Sandbox on the Beach and Siesta Sands on the Beach...but I don't think either have screened in enclosures...they are literally on the beach.

Crescent Beach has condos/motels in walking distance to Crescent Plaza.

So...what would you like?

~SRQgirl

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overload

It's the 4th June for 1 week. Around $1000 for the week would be great, I'm ok with a little more, my husband would prefer less :-)

In an ideal world I'd like somewhere directly on the beach (where the sand touches the building/grounds), although I don't mind having to cross a road if necessary. We'd like our own outside space for when we get up in the morning before we hit the beach, relaxing & reading, evening before heading out etc. I'm probably more of a beach explorer/walker than lying on the beach but we're going to try both. My husband would like to get up in the morning and go for a run on the beach and for a swim before deciding what to do for the day.

Although I think we'll eat at home for a lot of meals we would like to be able to go out in the evening for dinner sometimes and for drinks and I understand that Siesta Key Village is best for this so we would like to be in walking distance. I reckon about 0.5 miles or so is reasonable stumbling distance :-)

Style wise I like modern and clean lines. Some of the apartments I've seen are really nice but some look really dated. I'm not sure if 'Florida Style' means lots of wicker and floral???

Some rentals I've looked at that are maybe a block back from the beach say they have a private beach access and private beach. How does that work, don't the properties in front of the beach get the private beach areas?

We are in the balance between trying to find quieter beaches and reasonable nightlife (we're 32 so not looking for crazy late nights, just a few beers/cocktails and hopefully some music), which led us to Siesta Key in the first place following recommendations but I'm getting really lost with trying to work this out, I've never been to Florida and we don't often do beach holidays so I don't even know what I should be looking for, but we definately need some down time and can't come all the way to Florida without some beach time since they look so mazing.

Sorry, you just got a but of a brain dump there :-) Thanks for all your help so far.

Edited: 05 April 2011, 22:13
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overload

I think something like Crescent Towers on Crescent Beach would be nice...

Also...Sea Crest Apartments, Crystal Sands,, Island House,

Midnight Cove, House of the Sun etc.

Motels:

Capri Inn

Tropical Shores

You can get transportation to Siesta Village for dinner etc.

Your budget for a beachfront is low, unfortunately.

You could look at Sandbox on the Beach and Siesta Sands on the Beach...in walking distance to Siesta Village.

Everything else is either across the street from the beach or is on Crescent Beach...or...is more than a short walk from the Village such as Palm Bay Club etc.

Clean, modern lines and beachfront will cost more...

Places across the street from Siesta key Beach and relatively close to the Village:

Sunset Royale

Crescent Royale

Tivoli by the Sea

La Siesta

www.siestakeychamber.com

www.vrbo.com

www.vacationrentals.com

Lots of reviews here on TA...

~SRQgirl

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overload

Oh, I'd ruled out crescent beach because it wasn't walking distance to Siesta Key Village. What kind of transport can you get and what kind of costs are involved?

Thanks again :-)

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overload

From a former TA post:

Jonnys Free Beach Rides [(941) 306-9097] and use their extended golf cart type car for a shuttle to the beach. They do expect a tip for this service. This new in 2011 service is a real plus for Siesta Key. He is based by Crescent Village....

There are also taxis which don't charge much...

There are also nice places to eat in Creacent Plaza..

Clayton's Siesta Grille, Javier's, Miguel's, Sneaki Tiki Bar etc etc

~SRQgirl

6. Re: Overload

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 18:15