We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

Burlington, Ont.
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

We're just a tich nervous about this whole ceiling being ripped off the plane thing, and the discovery of a number of other aircraft with the same potential.

Southwest is one of the few who fly direct, which is why it is under consideration.

Any comments would be appreciated for this nervous Canadian...who is traveling with the penultimate white knuckle flyer...thanks

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

I would never hesitate to fly Southwest! One of the best domestic airlines. Their problems are just being publicized a lot--you think that other airlines don't have problems?

Burlington, Ont.
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

It goes without saying that there are deficiencies with every airline, and I'd be thinking that this failure was not disregarded by their competitors either.

I looked at their website, and there wasn't a word of reference towards it, any of the precautionary steps they were taking or assurance to passengers.

I am not familiar with them at all....

Thanks

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

I fly Southwest all the time and will continue to fly Southwest.

Burlington, Ont.
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

.......Good to hear; you've never steered me wrong yet!

Thanks!

Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
457 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

I also fly SW because of direct flights, still going to fly with them

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

I am a Southwest Junkie! Love it. The only time I don't fly with them is if they aren't going where I am. Flying into Ft Myers next month,not worried.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

Southwest Airlines is one of the most profitable airlines flying. They have an impecable safety record and are one of the safest airlines to fly. Occasionally any airline can have mechanical problems but normally redundant systems and regular maintenance requirements by the FAA keep the travelling public safer than driving.

Also Southwest recently purchased Airtran.

You should relax and enjoy your trip. A couple of cocktails will help

Enjoy

Edited: 13 April 2011, 05:11
Burlington, Ont.
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

Hi,

Just an update for you....thanks for all of your feedback, it was really helpful.

We have booked S.W. and, 5 of the other couples we are travelling with have also booked on the same flight.

White Knuckles is still reserving the option to take off from YYZ...

;)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

If you are nervous, choose someone else and not direct. We can't help you, and asking us to calm your nerves isn't entirely fair (as we c an't knwo what will happen).\

Personally, I think they are More safe to fly now as they are sitting up and paying a lot of attention to the details- even more than normal. It is the overall safety record that is important so look that up.

I flew freom Minneapolis to London on Monday ad there were huge complaints when Delta delayed (not cancelled) our flight for 3 hours which meant we left after midnight Central time. Because they had a fault and were waiting on a part to be flown in from NY. And i am glad they bothered to do this, instead of taking a chance.

Burlington, Ont.
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southwest Airlines - Buffalo to Tampa....Is it safe?????

Dear Amanx,

Thanks for your response...We are a group of Cdns who are/were not familiar with SW and wanted feedback from American - or any other - flyers who were.

We all agreed that we could find issue with any airline if we really wanted to, and weighed out a number of pro's and cons before booking.

Our flight gets us out of BUF early, and into TPA on time for us to make it to Siesta Key for an afternoon swim, and cocktails. I, for one, did not intend to spend 5 or 6 hours getting there each way, and loosing precious vacation time.

The SW website updated and was extremely informative about the steps that were being taken, and we all agreed it was a GO. Believe me, waiting on the tarmac for 2 hrs extra while they de-iced our flight to Montreal was well worth it!

Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key