We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

Can anyone tell me of Siesta Sands is on Crescent Beach? I just dont understand what "point of rocks" is. Also, can anyone tell me about the beach here? Is it a nice part of the beach and a in good location? We are really trying to book here soon so we wanted to be sure we were making the best decision! Also if anyone has stayed here, do you suggest higher or lower beachfront condos? Thanks so much!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

There are 2 places called Siesta Sands..one is by Point of Rocks (nice snorkeling area)/Crescent Beach. It is a short walk to the beach. the other place is on Beach Rd. directly on the Gulf.

Crescent Beach is a nice area. You would also be in walking distance to Crescent Plaza for some dining/small shops/cocktails.

The Beach Rd. location is 2 blocks to Siesta Village.

Have you looked at a map of Siesta Key?

When are you planning to visit and what type of lodging are you looking for? price?

~SRQgirl

Edited: 30 May 2013, 21:21
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

I see you have posted previously about lodging.

Siesta key and Sarasota are connected by 2 bridges..one on the north end by Siesta Village and one further south by Crescent Beach. We aren't talking about a huge area.

There are many properties in the area of Siesta Sands Beach Resort...In my opinion, the beach is wider in the area of Crystal Sands etc but it is further to Crescent Plaza (still in walking distance).

You had mentioned October, I believe and $300/night..that will get you a nice place.

Do you need 2 bedrooms?

www.siestakeychamber.com

isiestakey.com/2012/05/siesta-key-condo-map/

http://www.siesta-key-rentals.com/

www.buysarasota.com/siesta-key-condo-map.html

~SRQgirl

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

We have searched the sites you suggested and came across siesta sands at the point of rocks that we really liked. I just wanted to know if the beach was considered crescent beach and if it was as good as the north end beaches. Also wondering if this beach is as crowded as the north end. I was thrown off by the term point of rocks bc I wasn't sure what it meant. I just want to be sure we're staying in a good and beautiful location on the beach.

Ps- yes 300/night for October will def get me a lot but still not enough for the Hyatt beachfront lol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

That's the part of the beach where I stayed last year and will be staying again this year. It's beautiful!! In my opinion there isn't a bad part of the beach....It's all good.

Kris

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

The Siesta Sands Beach Resort is not that far from the Hyatt..a little further south in an area of condos/motels. You will be south of the Stickney Pt. Bridge to Sarasota, so it's convenient, too.

The north end beaches are more narrow and the public beach is crowded on weekends.

You will be in a good spot. October is a perfect time to visit. School is in session so there are fewer people.

Spring Break is high season.

If you look at a map, you will have a short walk to the beach.

As i tell everyone, while you are here you can check out all the other places for your next trip.

There will be a next trip..trust me.

Sometimes the Hyatt has deals..

Crescent Siesta Key is also higher end.

~SRQgirl

Canada
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

Crescent Beach is spectacular...no doubt there. There are however, IMO better locations than others.

We prefer the mid section of the "Crescent"...if you will....offering fabulous views in both directions. The beach is expansive, especially so around the 5900-6300's.(Midnight Pass)Island House ,Palm Bay, Crystal Sands, Siesta Dunes.

I think for your budget of $300/night.....you can do a lot better than Siesta Sands. The area is rather congested IMO.....The beach directly fronting Point of Rocks and "The wall".....sees a fair accumulation of gulf debris seaweed etc....just the way it is positioned , I suspect.That area around SaraSea circle is not for the claustrophobic. It is popular as it tends to be a bit more affordable.

I know Island House does not require a Sat-Sat stay. The beach is wide open there, fabulous sand, less sea oats , crowds etc.

Palm Bay Club is also a lovely spot on a nice stretch of Beach. At your budget you could get a lovely unit up front..Fabulous views.

I know Crystal Sands prefers 2 week rental but will accept 1 week in some situations.It is a beautiful property will gorgeous views and close proximity to the South Village.

Being walking distance to either village has never been a focus for us ...as selecting a desirable property wins out over village "convenience" Hopping in the car is still an option for dining...and there a number of fabulous Dining spots just off the Key as well. In the Gulf Gate area

We have visited Siesta Key Dozens of times and have stayed in a variety of locales over the course of these visits....all enjoyable. There are however some neighborhoods or sections if you will....that really tick all the boxes.......while others that may fall a bit short.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

I totally agree and have gently suggested more than a few times to the OP they can get alot more for their money.

Crystal Sands is a crowd favorite on TA.

Glad you chimed in.

~SRQgirl

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

Thank you all so so sooo much for your suggestions...I dont know what it is about the Siesta Sands that I like so much...maybe the upgraded decor? The open balcony? I looked at the other plapces and couldnt find a rental unit that I liked as much!! Crystal sands, Island house, etc). SRQ- what are your thoughts on the Jamaica Royale Penthouse suite? Again, I am leaning towards the upgraded decor and the large, open balcony.

But again, thank you all for the awesome suggestions- It definitely gave me a lot to look at!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

I will have to look at it..as we have mentioned to you there are many options and since condos are individually owned, some have updated decor and electronics and others don't.

Jamaica Royale is at a wide stretch of beach.

You have to also consider the complex in general..some offer better amenities than others.

There are plenty of reviews here on TA under "specialty Lodging" or you can type the names in the search box.

Sandpiper Beach Club might be an option, too. It's a timeshare.

http://www.sandpiperbeachclub.com/index.html

What is the most important factor in your decision..location on beach, upgrades, amenities?

Everyone has a different wish list.

Have you looked at

www.vrbo.com

www.vacationrentals.com

www.homeaway.com

~SRQgirl

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach and area around Siesta Sands (point of rocks)

Here are the reviews on TA for Jamaica Royale..contact some of the TA posters who stayed there..beware of 1 time posters...not always the most reliable comments.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34636-d485585-…

Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key