We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siesta Key or Sanibel Island?

Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Topic
Siesta Key or Sanibel Island?

Hi everyone! I'd really appreciate some advice on a road trip I'm going on next week. My husband and I are celebrating our anniversary by roadtripping through Florida. We're stopping in Amelia Island, St. Augustine, Titusville, Delray Beach, and then spending almost a week in Islamorada and Key West. On the way back up, we've booked 2 nights in Sanibel Island and 1 night in Cedar Key. I was looking forward to Sanibel Island for the shells and laid-back vibe - my husband and I are not the type to favor big hotels and crowded beaches - but now I am wondering if we should stay in Siesta Key instead. After seeing so much of Florida, I'd hate to miss out on the white powdery beaches, and I heard you can get shells there too. I also feel like I have to see that awesome statue of the sailor kissing his lady.

What do y'all recommend? Should we cancel Sanibel Island and stay in Siesta Key for 2 nights instead? Could we go on a day trip to Siesta Key whilte we're staying on Sanibel Island, or stop for a couple hours in Siesta Key on our way back up the coast? (I'm worried about adding extra driving for the day trip, since we'll already have been in the car for so long.)

Advice is appreciated SO MUCH. Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Titusville
Titusville
Brevard County, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Siesta Key or Sanibel Island?

Siesta Key will not have anywhere near the amount and variety of shells that Sanibel would. You could always do a day trip or two from Sanibel to Siesta.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Ohio
Level Contributor
749 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siesta Key or Sanibel Island?

Perhaps you are already on your trip but if you choose Siesta Key, I always find it to be worth it to to drive 1/2 an hour south to Caspersen Beach in Venice to hunt for shark teeth on the beach. We found over 200 in 2 afternoons.

Mentioned in this post
Caspersen Beach
Caspersen Beach
1,575 Reviews
Venice, FL
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siesta Key or Sanibel Island?

I have lived in both areas... Siesta is just a small bit of area (?better beach?) but Sanibel is it's own little island, along with Captiva... My choice would be Sanibel... More to do and see if you want more than just "beaching" it.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
4. Re: Siesta Key or Sanibel Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key