We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a day trip from Orlando worth it?

United States
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is a day trip from Orlando worth it?

We are vacationing in Orlando middle May, I'd like to set out around 9am and drive to Siesta Key and spend the day/early evening there...with that being said, is it worth it? Do the beaches get busy? Where should we head to first? Where to park? Open to to all suggestions.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,582 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a day trip from Orlando worth it?

Are you planning to come on a weekend? If so, you should leave much earleir than 9 AM. it would not be worth the trip.

It will take you at least 2 hours to get here. There is parking at the Siesta Key Public Beach parking lot

There are concessions, umbrella rentals, volleyball etc.

To get a full day I would plan to leave earlier in the morning to get here by 10 AM even on a weekday.

Is it worth it? that's your call. The beach is great and Siesta Village has dining etc.

~SRQgirl

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a day trip from Orlando worth it?

That is a long drive for a "day trip". By the time you get all the way out to the island, you are looking at 2.5 hours each way.

I also agree that 9 would be late.

Sarasota is a nice area to visit. I just think it would be much better staying the night over there.

For a "day trip" on the Gulf, I wouldn't go any further than Fort Desoto. Even then, I would leave earlier than 9.

3. Re: Is a day trip from Orlando worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key