We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tampa vs Clearwater vs St Pete

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
805 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tampa vs Clearwater vs St Pete

Can someone give a simple overview of the area? I can kind of see where each place is on a map, but what is the feel of the different areas? Is Tampa mainly a big city and Clearwater where people go to the beach? If I am staying in Tampa and want to hit the beach for a day do I go to Clearwater or St Pete?

Just an overview for a confused Yankee would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-dragon

Mentioned in this post
Tampa Bay CityPASS
24 Reviews
from US$107.00*
Tampa History Cruise
26 Reviews
from US$29.99*
Dolphin Cruise from The Florida...
68 Reviews
from US$43.95*
Tampa Bay 1.5-hour Dolphin...
13 Reviews
from US$29.99*
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tampa vs Clearwater vs St Pete

Confused Yankee fan? say it isn't so...

Clearwater Beach - busy beach area with condos and hotels, restaurants, a few beach bars, busy beach area. About 35 min from downtown Tampa with no traffic.

St. Pete - the city is a nice waterfront(TampaBay) city, great restaurants and bars downtown on Central Ave and along Beach Drive, nice parks along the waterfront...St Pete Pier, lots of culture and museums, about a 15 minute drive to Treasure Island and St Pete Beaches on the Gulf, about a 25 minute drive to downtown Tampa with no traffic.

Tampa - bigger city, of course the Yankees are here for Spring Training, but also alot of pocket neighborhoods in South Tampa and Entertainment Districts around downtown(SOHO/Hyde Park, Channelside, Ybor City).

I'd have to say for entertainment purposes(nightlife, restaurants, Attractions) i'd stay in Tampa. For beaching purposes i'd head to Fort DeSoto Beach for solitude, Pass-a-Grille for small town beach village, and Clearwater Beach for action on the sand.

Just my opinions....hiope this helps

Mentioned in this post
South Tampa
South Tampa
106 Reviews
Tampa, FL
SoHo
SoHo
23 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
147 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Ybor City
Ybor City
2,421 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
805 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tampa vs Clearwater vs St Pete

Not a confused "Yankee fan" - just a Yankee - as in from north of the Donna Dixon line. :-)

Anyway - thanks for the good information. Sounds like Clearwater Beach is the place to head to. I'm sure I'll be able to find some quiet sand time as well as activity around the Pier and all that.

Thanks!

-dragon

St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tampa vs Clearwater vs St Pete

If you have a car you can easily go anywhere or to all places in a day. For a vacationer It's better to stay out at the beach and visit Tampa for specific things because except for certain areas (Ybor, Hyde Park , International Mall etc.) there's not that much going on in Tampa itself. I live in St. Pete and our waterfront area is livelier at night than much of Tampa. A trip to Florida is for most yankees (I being from philly) about water and beach which ours are gorgeous. I recommend a trip by boat to Caladesi Island or Egmont key while you are here. Don't miss Fort Desoto park and Treasure Island has a particularly nice wide beach.

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
147 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
4. Re: Tampa vs Clearwater vs St Pete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 16:17