We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Shuttle & Shopping

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Shuttle & Shopping

We're spending 2 nights in Tampa, February '08 and would like a nice hotel that's walking distance to shopping, perhaps a mall. We'd rather not rent a car. Can you reccommend a nice place that includes airport shuttle?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

There is (I think it is) a Renaissance Hotel at International Mall, which is pretty much adjacent to the airport... that means a couple miles drive given the size of airports. This mall has a lot of nice shops, restaurants, etc. No idea how expensive this hotel is - probaby fairly so. There isn't much else walkable in this area. If you just plan to shop and hang out at the hotel pool, it should be fine for two nights.

Or, you could stay on Westshore, which is also within 10 minutes of the airport and walking distance - depending on where you stay - to Westshore Mall, which also has restaurants and such. There is a nice Embassy Suites almost across the street from this mall.

You might check both of these online to see about airport shuttles. If they don't have them, taxis are available.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

I would stick with the Renaissance at International Plaza. It's a nice 4* hotel and that mall is the best in town, especially if you are interested in high end shopping. There are a couple of good restaurants right at the mall, plus the normal food court sort of dining, as well as a couple of the Outback chain restaurants across the street.

I'm not so keen on Westshore Mall--with the exception of Saks, it's very ordinary.

Tampa shopping is pretty much confined to malls with the exception of some neat boutique type shops for ladies on South Dale Mabry, but I wouldn't want to stay in that area. Hyde Park has some good shopping with a few more interesting shops scattered on Howard Ave, as well as some very good restaurants, but no place to stay there...yet.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

OO is right. Well said.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

I can think of two choices.

1. Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. They have a shuttle to both the airport and Westshore Mall. They are on the higher end of the price scale. You can call the concierges at the hotel directly 813-874-1234 and ask them if the shuttle can take you to International Plaza since it's about the same distance away.

2. Wynham Westshore is across the street from Westshore mall and they have a shuttle to the airport.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

I love the Grand Hyatt...in fact I lived in it for 8.5 years as my DH was GM, but OP wanted to walk to shopping and you really cannot walk anywhere from there. (But then, you might not want to go anywhere either!) As recently as 2 years ago they had an arrangement with International Mall for a shuttle that ran between the two, but I don't know if it still exists...you can check with them. The shuttle however can be a hassle, as it is not on demand. You'll need to get their schedule and find out specifically where they pick up again at the mall. I've heard of a few instances of confusion on that. If you have a car, it's a snap to get to the mall, 5-10 minutes even on a slow day.

If it weren't for the walk to shopping aspect of the post though, I do prefer the Hyatt simply because of its location on the water and pretty grounds. It's room rates are on a par with Renaissance.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

that's funny I recommended it because I worked there for 7 years. It's a great hotel with an emphasis on their guest and customer service.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

Oh, if the Hyatt and Renaissance are beyond budget but EITHER one would appeal to you (ie, you are willing to accept either, despite the fact that you can't walk to shopping from the Hyatt) you can bid for them on Priceline by bidding the Airport/Westshore zone and bidding for 4* only. Those are the only two 4* hotels in that zone so you'll win one or the other if they have Priceline availability during your time frame. The last two winning bids I saw for Hyatt were $80 and $85/night...pretty good! The drawbacks to Priceline bidding are that you are bidding on an unknown hotel (but in this case it will be one or the other of them) and (importantly) there is no canceling. Priceline rules. This is pretty far out to be bidding though for a February trip. They normally don't release rooms until closer to the date unless you bid pretty high.

Both hotels do have airport shuttles by the way.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

hildy...you were writing as I was. Yes, it is funny...we might know each other. Which GM were you under?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

Mr. Garterbruber - I believe his name was. i was there from 91 - 97.

I worked both front desk and reservations and i filled in at the restaurants and for concierges. my mom has been working there since the hotel opened.

did you live in the Casita suite? those are so pretty.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Shuttle & Shopping

:> :> We arrived thre in 1997...my DH replaced Mr G. Too funny. Yes, we lived in the casitas and I miss it all terribly! We have a sailboat in St Pete still so are back as often as possible.