We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out of Towner looking to impress a local.

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Out of Towner looking to impress a local.

Coming down to Tampa to meet someone who lives there. I know she is probably familiar w/ all the local places when it comes to dining and nightlife, however I wouldn't like to leave everything up to her. Any suggestions will be appreciated for a romantic dinner to a nice after dinner spot where you can drink and dance the night away. Both in the mid 30's so some sophisticated place w/ good taste and no one going crazy, please. Maybe a place close to a nice area where you can enjoy the night sky!!

Thanks

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Out of Towner looking to impress a local.

I will say up front that this used to be my DH's hotel, but we've been transferred and I have no interest in furthering them. :> To me, the most romantic dining spot in Tampa is Armanis on top of the Grand Hyatt. It overlooks Tampa Bay with beautiful views, especially at sunset across the bay. Food was, don't know if it still is, rated as Zagat 4*, one of the few in town to get that rating. It is formal and expensive, but so good. Not sure exactly what you are looking for....but to my mind they couldn't be beat for setting.

A lot of people like Berns...I'm not such a huge fan, mostly because of the decor and to a degree, location, in a windowless building. I prefer Sideberns to Berns...sister restaurant. Another we found romantic was St Barts Island House, also on South Howard.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out of Towner looking to impress a local.

St. Barts was good, but no longer in existence. I recently ate at Malio's in downtown Tampa...I would rate that as one fo THE BEST restaurants in town, very professional, food is amazing, place is intimate and cozy.

Fly Bar also downtown has some good bands and DJ's that play after 10pm, a somewhat sophistacated crowd. Another spot is Blue Martini at International Plaza(Bamboo Club and Capitol Grille are my favs in this area of BayStreet), another somehwhat sophistacated crowd, with great dance bands.

St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
193 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out of Towner looking to impress a local.

I have an idea..

Since she lives in Tampa and probably goes to quite a few of those places, I would suggest crossing the bridge to downtown St. Petersburg.

Take her to Ceviche for an amazing Spanish Tapas dinner.. The place reeks of sexiness. You can share small plates of amazing food.

Afterward, there is one of the best Flamenco Jazz bands downstairs in the basement which is very hip. Get a couple glasses of wine or cocktails and listen to this band. They are amazing musicians who will make you want to dance together for sure.

Afterward, stroll right outside on the waterfront where all the yachts are parked overlooking the St. Petersburg pier all illuminated in different colors. All of the Christmas lights are up as well. It will be a fantastic, romantic and fun evening.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Out of Towner looking to impress a local.

I think all the above are great suggestions! I was going to suggest Malio's and the Fly as well before reading Tampan's suggestions.

St. Pete is great as the above poster suggested, but keep in mind that if you guys are driving, they are very strict on drinking and driving down here if you plan on driving back to Tampa. Have fun!

5. Re: Out of Towner looking to impress a local.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 18:20