We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shell Searching, where's the best beach?

Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shell Searching, where's the best beach?

Besides sea fishing my son wants to search for shells on a beach. Are any beaches better than others? We will be heading to a beach on Jan 12.

lah
Kansas City
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shell Searching, where's the best beach?

We just returned from a trip to the Tampa area and found shells on Caladesi Island which has a beautiful beach. The island is accessible by boat or ferry only from Honeymoon Island State Park in Dunedin, just west of Tampa.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Honeymoon Island State Park
Honeymoon Island State...
2,250 Reviews
Dunedin, FL
Dunedin
Dunedin
Florida
OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shell Searching, where's the best beach?

Great shells are everywhere in the area. The beach with the least # of people will appear to have more. In that regard, I've had my best luck at Ft Desoto, which isn't as crowded as it's a state park and no one stays there (likewise Caladesi, but that's harder to get to). I have found however, that certain types of shells are predominant on certain beaches. There are a fair number of sand dollars at Ft Desoto (unfortunately, many of them alive...most all in fact if you find them in the water). That also is the spot where I can find the most and best olives...dead and alive, which are much harder to find in the stretch from CWB to SPB. Do check for the critter as you don't want to be carrying home anything that was alive! Stinky business!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shell Searching, where's the best beach?

It really depends on when the last storm that churned the Gulf waters passed though. In Dec. 2006 at Indian Rocks Beach I found several nice shells (welks,olive,sharks eye), but in Dec. 2007 only smaller shells. Look at low tide and early in the morning.

I agree that Ft. de Soto Park would be a good place to look, it is a Pinellas County Park.

Mentioned in this post
Fort De Soto Park
Fort De Soto Park
2,458 Reviews
Tierra Verde, FL
4. Re: Shell Searching, where's the best beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 02:18