We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

Hi everybody,

My three friends and I will be aattending regattas at Davis Island Yacht Club February 8 to the 13, then St. Petersburg yacht club from 2/14 to 2/18. We are looking for a very nice condo or town house/ vacation rental that is ideally between these Two yacht clubs or whatever compromise you consider best. We would prefer at least two bathrooms.

Proximity to the clubs is important, cost less so.

Any ideas or recommendations out there?

thanks for chceking this out

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

Another poster (I believe Chuts) has recommended this website for condo rentals:

www.vrbo.com

I have never used the site.

I would probably suggest staying in Tampa for the first part of your trip and then St. Pete for the second if that is feasible. That way you'll get a feel for both cities easily. If not, something near Gandy Bridge would put you in the middle of both areas.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

Check www.vrbo.com for the Tampa or St. Pete areas. While this is not a condo, you might find that Chase Suites Hotel on Rocky Point would be suitable as it is about midway between the two Yacht Clubs.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

The two clubs are such a distance from each other, (about a 40 minute drive and the halfway point would put you in the middle of Tampa Bay) wouldn't it be best to spend Feb 8-13 in Tampa and 14-18 in St Pete if proximity is important? Davis Islands Yacht Club is south of downtown Tampa, SPYC is downtown St Pete. If you are located conveniently to one, you won't be to the other.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

sted on: 3:27 pm, today

Save Save

T"he two clubs are such a distance from each other, (about a 40 minute drive and the halfway point would put you in the middle of Tampa Bay) wouldn't it be best to spend Feb 8-13 in Tampa and 14-18 in St Pete if proximity is important? Davis Islands Yacht Club is south of downtown Tampa, SPYC is downtown St Pete. If you are located conveniently to one, you won't be to the other."

Thanks for the reply and pointing out the problem with driving to the two clubs. I'll look around and see what is available. Would like someone's recommendations, ideally based on real experience, as to where to look for accomodations near each club with quick access to good bars and restaurants.

thanks again, keep those ideas coming!

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

The only thing I am slightly familiar with are the Post apartments on Harbour Island and Hyde Park. I'm not sure if they will rent for only 5 days, but you can contact them. Here is the website:

postproperties.com/ApartmentFurnished/Locati…

Both are a very short drive to Davis Island Yacht Club and close to good restaurants, etc.

You may want to post in St. Petersburg forums for apartment info there.

As far as hotels (if that is an option), I would stay at Marriott Waterside if cost is not important. Again about a 5 minute drive to Davis Island.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

Asyouwere, can I be very nosy?? I assume you are racing seeing as that's not exactly a spectator sport. I'm curious what you sail and how on earth you get it down there, or is it there already? We have a Bristol 29.9 in Gulfport but transporting it anywhere would be a major issue. Good luck...I have a friend who raced out of Davis Island and I can see if he has any ideas for stays. Do you belong to a reciprocating club and can they help with lodging? The sailing community is so close, I wouldn't be surprised if some people were willing to lend out a room. I know the Boca Ciega Yacht Club occasionally has people bunking out on a couch...not that is ideal! :D

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

Posted on: 9:26 am, today

Save Save

Asyouwere, can I be very nosy?? I assume you are racing seeing as that's not exactly a spectator sport. I'm curious what you sail and how on earth you get it down there, or is it there already? We have a Bristol 29.9 in Gulfport but transporting it anywhere would be a major issue. Good luck...I have a friend who raced out of Davis Island and I can see if he has any ideas for stays. Do you belong to a reciprocating club and can they help with lodging? The sailing community is so close, I wouldn't be surprised if some people were willing to lend out a room. I know the Boca Ciega Yacht Club occasionally has people bunking out on a couch...not that is ideal! :D

Hi OO,

thanks for the post. Yes, you are correct. We are J/24 sailors from Upstate NY ( Rochester.) We trailer the boat everywhere.

It's beginning to lok like it woud be best to stay somewhere near Davis Island for the first regatta, then move near St. Pete for the second regatta.

Also, if you have any links or info about the tides and currents in Tampa Bay, that would really be helpful.

We do belong to the Rochester Yacht Club. I suspect Davis Island YC and SPYC will have enough to do besides finding us lodging. So far, most places I have found on the internet do not do short term rentals. Guess that forces us into places like Residence Inn, etc.- if we can find one with rooms. Please let me know if you have any ideas. We would really like to stay close to each yacht club if at all possible. We don't want to hassel with traffic or take any chances with DUI, etc.

thanks again for checking this post.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

It must be a fun boat to race although I can't imagine trailering it all that distance!! Good luck in the races. Davis Island YC especially has a bunch of fun sailors. SPYC can be a bit more staid.

The closest lodging to DIYC is downtown Tampa. Likewise, downtown St Pete (different town from St Pete Beach) for SPYC, which is conveniently located in the middle of downtown, walking distance to everything.

These tide tables should be some help until you can get there then the yacht clubs will have sheets with the info. Scroll down to Tampa Bay, then click on predictions for the points you are interested in. I'm very jealous you know! :> co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/tides04/tab2ec3e.html

I'll try to talk to our racing friend over the weekend and see if he can shed some light on alternative lodging.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

It must be a fun boat to race although I can't imagine trailering it all that distance!! Good luck in the races. Davis Island YC especially has a bunch of fun sailors. SPYC can be a bit more staid.

The closest lodging to DIYC is downtown Tampa. Likewise, downtown St Pete (different town from St Pete Beach) for SPYC, which is conveniently located in the middle of downtown, walking distance to everything.

These tide tables should be some help until you can get there then the yacht clubs will have sheets with the info. Scroll down to Tampa Bay, then click on predictions for the points you are interested in. I'm very jealous you know! :> co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/tides04/tab2ec3e.html

I'll try to talk to our racing friend over the weekend and see if he can shed some light on alternative lodging.

Hi OO,

someday you'll have to explain your screen name. Must be one hell of a story!

Thanks for offering to get information for us. I know it will be helpful. By all means, you should stop by DIYC and/or SPYC for the partys. We can show you what happens when you get a boat full of crazed Northeners down in the sunshine for a week! Let the dark and stormys flow!!

cheers!

PS-any hints about fun bars and good restaurants in the DI or SP area?

new york
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for a very nice condo/townhouse near Davis Island

I just stayed at a new resort down there, that sounds like something you are looking for.

Emerald Greens Golf Resort & Country Club. Their concierge there was awesome, I am sure he could find something for you, and ALL their units had two bedrooms, two bathrooms. They can even arrange daily transportation, we took a private town car from the airport and to our destinations each day, and they packaged it with the room rate for us.

Good Luck! I think their website is www.stayandplaytampa.com