We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we make the trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa w/ little ones?

Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do we make the trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa w/ little ones?

Ok, we are planning our next orlando trip this upcoming Nov/Dec. We are currently booked for two weeks and of course we will do universal/IOA and disney. However, we are wondering if we should take a day and travel to Busch Gardens in Tampa as well. We do have two small children (2 1/2 and almost 5 at the time of the trip). I know Busch Gardens has a lot of thrill rides which my husband would love (me not so much - nothing that puts me upside down). I also heard they are opening a new section soon that will cater to the younger crowd. Do we take a day and make the drive or do we use that day to revisit a Disney park? How are the crowds at Busch at that time of year and could we really get a lot done that day with the travel to and from the park? And how does it compare to Animal Kingdom and the other parks in Disney?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we make the trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa w/ little ones?

We far prefer BG to AK. Just a personal preference.

There are plenty of non-thrill rides around -- and an entire section just for the under-10s -- bring their bathing suits, as there are plenty of places to play in the water if it's warm.

Crowds shouldn't be too bad -- except for Thanksgiving weekend, which will be a madhouse.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,359 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we make the trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa w/ little ones?

I prefer Busch Gardens & Sea World to all the theme parks. I took my children when they were under 5 and had a great time. It's not all roller coasters. Now I will be taking the grandbaby probably next summer when she is 3.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we make the trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa w/ little ones?

Busch Gardens is definately worth a visit. There are really only 3 major roller coasters, Sheikra, Montu and Kumba. The other rides are family friendly. Land of the Dragons is an entire section just for little kids. They have rides just for the little ones and a huge play area for them to run around in. Like the previous poster said, bring their bathing suites if it's warm so they can play around in the water.

BG is very different from Animal Kingdom and they really can not be compared. The rides, shows and atmosphere are different. I love them both and they are both worth a visit.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,446 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we make the trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa w/ little ones?

I would definately recommend Busch Gardens too. The kids will love the animals there, talke them on the Rhino Rally, or maybe one of the up close tours where you can get to feen the animals. Also, there is a great selection of rides that the kids will enjoy.

Then, for the 'big' kids the rides are pretty awesome too, and there is the Anheuser brewmaster pub. It will be pretty quiet that time of year too, apart from Thanksgiving week where it will be busier.

Florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we make the trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa w/ little ones?

If it will just be the four of you (i.e. no one for your husband to go on the rides with) then a good (and lower cost) alternative for you might be the Lowry Park Zoo. They, too, have a water playground for the kids (if it is warm) and they also have a few family and kiddy rides, pony rides, camel ride, carousel, petting zoo, etc. Voted #1 Family Friendly Zoo in America by Child Magazine. Currently a couple of animal exhibits are temporarily closed due to construction on Phase II of the Asian Gardens but this should be completed by the time of your trip. Check their website for more details. Enjoy!

Florida
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we make the trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa w/ little ones?

I would do Busch Gardens...they have shows and rides your kids would LOVE...of course you have to choose what is best for your kids...Also Jungala will be great for younger kids!! (We live near BG and have AP's so we go often!!)

7. Re: Do we make the trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa w/ little ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 16:17