We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tampa area nature spots, birding, etc?

Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Tampa area nature spots, birding, etc?

Hey there Sarasota experts, I have 3-4 days this coming weekend to poke around while tagging along while my wife is conferencing in Tampa. I’m most interested in nice beach time, and also doing some nature stuff like birdwatching or kayaking, etc. (not necessarily in same places as the nice beaches)

Ding Darling on Sanibel seems a bit too far 2.5 hrs each way from Tampa, but that would be the kind of nature/birding area that would be cool. Any suggestions like that an hour or so from Tampa? Crystal river worth exploring for birds & nature?

Do figure will spend some time around Clearwater beaches when the wife has a few free hours, any less busy nice beach spots to recommend in that area?

Thought I’d head down to Lido or maybe Siesta for a day or 2, and dis post in the Sarasota forum for suggestions in that area

thanks!!

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tampa area nature spots, birding, etc?

You don't have to go that far. Visit Ft. Desoto park in St. Pete Beach.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tampa area nature spots, birding, etc?

I was thinking Desoto too...you can rent kayaks to ply the mangroves, and the beach is my favorite in the area--easier to get to too, than Clearwater Beach is.

You might also look into Canoe Escapes, on the Hillsborough River. http://www.canoeescape.com/ No beach obviously, but it is beautiful!

Lido is a pretty beach as well, and your wife (if not you) will enjoy the shopping around St Armands Circle as well.

Florida
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tampa area nature spots, birding, etc?

Ft Desoto is awesome and to spend a day at the beach it would be my first choice. As far as seeing birds/wildlife in Tampa I would suggest Lettuce Lake...It is on the Hillsborough river and you will see all kinds of birds and gators.

Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tampa area nature spots, birding, etc?

thanks all for the Ft DeSoto recommendation, looks great! Lettuce Lake looks good for a quick birdwatching jaunt when time will be tight.

Thanks all!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tampa area nature spots, birding, etc?

you may also want to check out Hillsborough State Park

www.floridastateparks.org/hillsboroughriver/

6. Re: Tampa area nature spots, birding, etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 04:18