We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach towns with more than a beach?

Virginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Beach towns with more than a beach?

Trying to plan a trip to Florida for early November. Had my mind set on going to Sanibel Island just to "chill" out, but my husband/son said "too boring". Thought about the upper Keys, but prefer calmer Gulf of Mexico to wavy Atlantic Ocean. My new idea is to fly into Tampa and spend one day at Busch Gardens then drive to the Gulf coast. Looking for a beach town that has more to offer than beaches (i.e., miniature golf, go-karts, etc.) and am willing to drive up to 2 hours. Where do you suggest? I've been to St. Petersburg & Clearwater, but MANY years ago when I was younger and single, so my priorites were different then.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach towns with more than a beach?

I would suggest something around the Cape Canaveral area, so that you can drive to Universal for one or two days for your son and husband (depending on sons age -- if he is older teen, i would look at south beach/miami -- so you can also venture to the keys

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach towns with more than a beach?

Clearwater Beach .. about 45 min drive from Tampa airport.

Anna Maria Island .. about 1 hr from Tpa.

Siesta Key .. about 1.5 hr from Tpa.

The last two might be in the "too boring" category. You'll be happy with CB.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach towns with more than a beach?

Clearwater Beach seems to fit the bill. It's about 30-45 minutes from Tampa. The Sandpearl resort is really nice. It's right by the pier. There is a miniature golf nearby and several boating excursions nearby as well. Check out the Clearwater forums for more info.

Virginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach towns with more than a beach?

Thanks for the replies. I had thought Clearwater Beach would probably be the best choice, but wasn't sure.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach towns with more than a beach?

You will probably find it has changed a lot since your "many years ago" visit. A tad more crowded - good for people watching - but should be just as enjoyable.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach towns with more than a beach?

I concur with the above posts, Clearwater Beach will have what you are looking for in the Tampa area. By the way, the Keys have NO waves weither on the OCean or Gulf side, and VERY VERY relaxing beautiful waters.

7. Re: Beach towns with more than a beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 16:19