We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

Boston...
Level Contributor
170 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

My husband and I are flying into Tampa the week of May 2nd, and we want to rent a car for the week. I was really surprised to find out that I couldn't get a car for under $425 for the week! That's more than my roundtrip airfare from Boston for both of us!! Can anyone give me any tips to getting a less expensive rental? A small economy car will suit us fine. Thanks.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

Try Hotwire; Priceline or www.carrentals.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
170 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

Gringo - thanks for the reply. I already found a car for under $250 on CarRentals.com! It looks like I can get one even cheaper on Hotwire, but I've never used it before and am a little nervous about booking something before I know who I'm dealing with. Have you used Hotwire before?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

I personally have not used Hotwire but my sister has quite successfully. She rents cars out of DFW all of the time for $12.00 but has to pay an airport surcharge as well which makes it not such a good pargain as this is around $24.00 I am with you as I want to know who I am dealing with. I rented an SUV for this spring in Salt Lake City from Rentalcars.com and really found a good rate so I will stick with them. Once you book with Hotwire you are :stuck" so to speak.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

You may want to try www.dollar.com

Try the promotional code 9FLWK for a midsize for $230 for that week.

The promotional code OOAG, which I thought had expired, still appears to work and yields even lower rates, $147 for a compact and $150 for a midsize for that week.

Boston...
Level Contributor
170 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

Wow- you guys are great!! GM6PUB - I just tried that OOAG promo code and got an econony car for $205 total! Is there something I need to qualify for in order to use it?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

I used the code for a January trip to PBI and the only thing I did was use the promotional code when making the reservation. There were no strings attached (such as using a particular credit card). I had found the code on www.rentalcodes.com/dollar.html which indicated that OOAG is from Official Orlando Attractions Guide. My guess is the code is good for renting a car at airports within a reasonable drive of Orlando and is in effect a subsidy from interested parties to bolster tourism.

Indiana
Level Contributor
291 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The promo code OOAG is still working and it gave me a great rate!

VANCOUVER
Level Contributor
290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

Thank you so much for the code, I also used it and got a great discount for a week at the end of this month. I have been looking for over a month and the rates have not moved much. Wonder why the rates are so high here.?I have never seen such high rates, not even in Maui.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,726 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

The OOAG promo code referenced above still works for Dollar. I am flying into Tampa in November. Rental car rates are really high.

At $34.00 a day plus tax it's still high, but this promo code will save me about $100.00 for a 5 day rental.

I will keep checking to see if rates go down and eventually try Priceline, but at least I have a reservation I can live with if nothing cheaper comes along.

10. Re: Can anyone help me find a less expensive car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 04:16