We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Tampa Bay?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in Tampa Bay?

Hello, we are looking at possibly renting a townhome on Tampa Bay. Is there swimming in the bay? Our other options are in Tampa and some near Indian Shores/Redington Beach. We want to rent more of a "home" so we have the space and can make meals. We want to have some beach days but also go to Busch Gardens and see Manatees....

Thanks!

Julie

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Tampa Bay?

One place in Tampa Bay that I've seen some people in the water is at the Ben T. Davis beach which is off the Courtney Campbell Causeway. Personally I wouldn't go in that water when the Gulf beaches are so much better - which is why I would choose to stay in Indian Shores/Reddington Beach rather than in a house on Tampa Bay. You'll probably be going to Busch Gdns only one or two days anyway.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Tampa Bay?

That is a very good point. So maybe spend a little more and stay in Indian Shores or Redington.

Thanks!

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
705 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Tampa Bay?

You don't really see swimming in the bay that much around these parts (I wouldn't). I would either spend a little more to stay on the beaches (both Redington and Indian Shores are relatively low-key and have beautiful beaches), or spend the same money on something less luxurious on the beach. The beach is where it's at...Tampa ain't "all that" as far as a "destination", IMO. It'll only take you an hour to get to Busch Gardens from there.

Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
457 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Tampa Bay?

Since you are in that area-- can you tell me anything about the oil spills?

We are coming to the Madeira beach area in June and very worried about the oil spills.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in Tampa Bay?

All I know about the oil spills is what I read in the news ... so far we are lucky. But come June it is anybody's guess where will be affected. The only sure thing is that it is taking a helluva lot longer to stop the leak underwater than anyone thought. So by the time the leak is stopped there is no telling where all that oil will end up.

lakewood, colorado
Level Contributor
507 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in Tampa Bay?

I also recommend Redington Beach as the place to stay! Beaches are lovely and uncrowded, and right there. Even if you opt for a less expensive unit not on the beach, still within walking distance and much more relaxing! We stay at North Redington Beach and have taken trips in to Busch Gardens and the Lowrey Park Zoo - less than an hour travel time, and after all tha madness you can relax at the beach!

Highly recommend the Redington Surf and Sandalwood Resort - both have full kitchens, pools and right on the beach! We will be back at the Redington Surf on June 6th, not a moment too soon!

7. Re: Swimming in Tampa Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tampa
Recent Conversations