We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Location

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
730 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Location

We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt next month, and I started wondering, would be better off staying downtown or Ybor City? We will be staying for just three nights, before heading down to St. Pete's Beach and Sarasota. Would the downtown/Ybor City area be a better location for a tourist?

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Location

It really just depends on what your plans are. Tampa is very spread out. Ybor and Downtown are nice locations because they have a trolley that runs between the two and Channelside, but downtown Tampa is a pretty desolate place at night. It's not like a lot of major cities. :O) What are some things on your itinerary?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Location

Not too much near, or in walking distance of the Grand Hyatt. If looking to be nearer to things, you may want to look at Ybor, or downtown, if you will be wanting to go there.

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Location

We are figuring on going to Tarpon Springs one day and would like to go to one of the aquariums in the area. Is the aquarium in Tampa the best? We would also like to go to Channelside, Ybor City and maybe do some antiquing. Any other suggestions? We will have a car, if that makes any difference. I was actually looking to stay somewhere where there might be somplace to walk to during the evening.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Location

There are three hotels about a mile from that Channelside area mentioned before: Marriott Waterside, Embassy Suites Convention Center, and the Westin Harbor Island. All 3 are in spitting distance of each other and at one end of the trolley that runs from the Conv. Ctr to Ybor City.

There are also two hotels in Ybor City: a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn. YC itself is less than 1.5 miles from the Channelside area.

Some of those hotels charge for parking so check into that when figuring out the daily rate.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Location

Well, Tarpon Springs is a closer drive from the Grand Hyatt than from the downtown area hotels. However, the Florida Aquarium is right next door to Channelside. If you want to walk to places in the evening, I think the downtown hotels that Chuts suggested are a better bet. Since you will have a car, you'd be fine at the Grand Hyatt, though. It is supposed to be a nice hotel and one of the best restaurants in the city is located there (Armani's).

For anitiquing, there are several antique shops in South Tampa, a short drive from downtown or the Grand Hyatt. I am not an antiquer myself, but have noticed several on MacDill Avenue.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Location

I agree with everything Chuts and FSUFAN said. I will say that I've personally stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ybor, and it is nice. I've never stayed at any of the others, but I'm sure they're fine. If you stay in Ybor, you can still use the trolley to go to Channelside. Here is the trolley information:

http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

You can find stops and hours of operation on that website. :O)

7. Re: Hotel Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 15:18