We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

We are going to have a week in the Tampa area and are interested in doing some longer day hikes. What is the hiking like around that area ?( we could rent a car and drive a bit further if necessary). I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

Hillsborough River State Park has some hiking trails. To be honest, I haven't been there since I was a kid, so I can't tell you much about it. Hopefully others will chime in with other suggestions.

May not what you're looking for, but walks along the beach are quite popular(Clearwater beach sand is quite nice).

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

Here is a website of trails in the Clearwater area, and it tells a little about them.

www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=13568

I'm not a hiker. So, I can't really comment on what they're like. :O(

I hope this helps! :O)

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

If you're looking for places to hike, in the true sense of the word, there's aren't any. There may be walking trails but not what I would call places to hike since the area is dead flat.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

Thanks everyone for the information. Coming from Alberta and the Rockies, I anticipate that I will be able to cover a lot more miles than I do hiking in the mountains. I thought there was a trail that went across Florida, but I guess I will have to learn to enjoy the beach and the beautiful Florida sunsets that will make up for the lack of hiking opportunities.

Cheers

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

I'm not aware of a trail that crosses Florida but the Pinellas Trail crosses Pinellas County.

www.pinellascounty.org/trailgd

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

Some of the BEST hiking in the Tampa area includes Brooker Creek Preserve, Wilderness Park System in Northeast Tampa(Flatwoods, Trout Creek, Lettuce Lake), Alafaya River State Park(an old Phosphate mine with HUGE steep hills, very woodsy, swamplike)--you'll see tons of nature and Florida typesa of plants/species.

Of course nothin worng with a beautiful sunset walk at Fort DeSoto Park/Beaches.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 02:07
Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

Thanks everyone. I will definitely explore these areas. I saw on the news that there were tornado warnings for central Florida. Is that normal this time of year?

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

I didn't realize there were tornado warnings out last night? Anyway, tornado warnings are not normal for this time of year unless a cold front is coming through, but do not worry about them anyway. They rarely cause any damage. They are not like tornados out West. Typically, they are much smaller and probably a F1 or F2. Sometimes, they may uproot a tree or take some shingles off a roof and every few years take out a couple of trailers, but rarely are people hurt in Tornados here in Florida. It's just not something we worry about. :O)

Edited: 20 January 2011, 12:51
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

Forgot to tell you one other thing..........they rarely touch the ground here, and when they do, it is very short lived..........more like a hopping tornado. LOL :O) No worries! Have fun on your trip to Florida!

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking around Tampa and Clearwater

Thanks - I feel better already. I got a visual of the 'hopping tornado'.