We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

We will be in Tampa next Saturday and we cannot pick a restuarant for dinner. We will be staying at the Doubletree, but we don't mind driving a bit. We were debating on Capital Grille or Berns, but now we are not so sure we want either.

We are looking for a good steak and I don't mind spending the money for a nice dinner, but only if it is worth it. Any recommendations? TIA!

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

I believe you asked this question before:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34678-i156-k42666…

What type of place are you looking for? Several people chimed in with their opinions. Do you want trendy, or old school? Do you just want steak or another type of cuisine? Are you looking for a view? It's hard to recommend something different unless we know what you are looking for.

michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

Yes, I asked about Capital Grille or Berns before. Like I said originally in this thread, we are re-thinking either of those places. I also said we would like to find a good steak place. We don't care about a view or any of that, we are just interested in the food being very good. If Berns or Capital Grille are the best recommendations, then we will rethink. I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if there was someplace else we overlooked by just asking about two specific places.

Sorry if it was a bother for me to ask.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

Not a bother, you just seemed to be asking the same question. There are tons of great steak houses in Tampa if that's what you want:

Besides Bern's and Capital Grille, there is Ruths Chris, Charley's, Shula's, The Palm, Fleming's,...

I think everyone will have a different opinion on which is their favorite. I've never eaten at Shula's, but I've been to all the others I listed. I loved my filet at Ruths Chris the last time I was there - very buttery and cooked perfectly. I have loved Flemings in the past, but the last time I ate there my filet was overcooked and dry (I think you can probably always have a misshap at any restaurant). The last time I ate at the Palm my filet was undercooked. I sent it back and it was STILL undercooked. I didn't make a big fuss, but it was eventually cooked to my preferred temperature (medium) and they did take the steak off my bill. Last time I ate at both Capital Grille and Bern's, the filets were good.

If I were visiting from out of town, I would pick Bern's as it's an iconic Tampa restaurant and if you do choose Bern's save room for the dessert room. It is an older restaurant and is not in the least bit trendy or hip. It's rather dark, whereas Capital Grille is new and fresh looking.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

Are you staying at the Doubletree on Rocky Point? If so, Charley's will be a very short drive talkofthetownrestaurants.com/charleys_tampa.…

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

I have had dinner at both places. Loved both. Berns is a little "ecentric" I think.

Not you typical cookie cutter restaurant. Service was very good as was our dinner. Capital Grille has such a nice atmosphere to me,comfortable,service above reproach,food delicious. It feels more "special" to me. While looking on Trip Advisor tonight,The Laughing Cat was actually #1. It sounded really tasty,but it is Italian.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

Since you're from out of town, I would definitely go with Bern's too. Be sure to go to the dessert room. It's a must! :O)

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

I would go with Bern's or Charley's. Capital Grille, Fleming's, The Palm and Ruth's Chris can be found all over the country. While Charley's is also a small chain, it is unique to the Tampa/Orlando area and only has four locations (I believe). Very good, too...one of my faves.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

Charlie's Steakhouse is very, very good. I usually get the Kansas City Steak it's delicious.

Also, check out some of the Colombian Restaurants down Armenia Avenue - they give lots of food (just in case you're really hungry) and the steak is pretty good.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

All of these steakhouses are great. However, if you're looking for something good with history and just a bit quirky, gotta go with Berns. Cheesy red velvet wallpaper in the waiting area will greet you. But the food is good, the service is great, and you must do both the kitchen tour and the desert room. Berns is kind of a "must do" at least once in your life. Cow is cow; steak is steak. It's what comes with it and how it's served that makes the night enjoyable. But you'll be satisfied with any of these places.

10. Re: Can't pick a restaurant. Help please :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:19