We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

Midwest
Level Contributor
3 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

A family member asked me about car rentals in Tampa.

My recent experience was that I tried an off location car rental agency - Payless Car Rental. I normally rent through Priceline when I fly into Tampa.

It was a mistake on my part. If you look on google, you can see all of the poor reviews for this rental car company. I have to add my complaint also.

1) The sales person and manager were the rudest service people I have encountered in years.

2) The cars were dirty and dented.

3) When I declined insurance coverage and gasoline package, the salesman tried strong intimidation tactics.

4) After I declined again, I was told that they were going to charge my credit card $250 "deposit" and give me a refund when I returned the car. What a scam!

At that point I walked out of the building, took the shuttle back to the airport and rented from Avis. The people at Avis were polite, professional, and the car was very clean. I paid more, but I was not subjected to such poor behavior.

I understand wanting to save money, but when I cannot trust the rental company , then the headaches outweigh the possible savings.

61 replies to this topic
Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

I had a similar experience with this location, the salesman and manager were rude and pushy. When I declined their insurance coverage I was told there was no vehicle to fit the one I reserved and they tried to upsell me on a larger car for more money. We were on an extremely limited budget and could not afford more. When we turned this down we were informed we were going to be given a van to us. There was only 2 of us traveling, I am not comfortable driving a vehicle this big and there were 20 other 4 door cars sitting on the lot. I told them I was not comfortable driving a van and I wanted one of the smaller cars, they insisted I couldn't have one and that the only option was to take the van or pay more money for another vehicle. After some disagreement we had no choice but to take the other vehicle and pay more, because I was not comfortable driving a van. Fortunately I had reserved this vehicle thru Travelocity and they were extremely helpful and got me a refund on this overpayment. However, when the Payless manager called to say he was giving a refund he was extremely rude and unpleasant to deal with. I wasn't expecting an apology but I didn't feel he had to go out of his way to criticize me and tell me that I had made it my choice to pay more, when in reality I was given no choice. I will not rent here or from another Payless again. I have rented many cars and never had a problem or bad service, this is truly a first.

Level Contributor
2 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

We had exactly the same experience this weekend as did another customer infront of me. These people need to change the way they do business. i will never rent from here againa and plan to tell anyone listening to do the same. The sales lady was rude and short with us.

We rented the economy and when I asked to see it, she couldn't produce it. She said it was being cleaned in the back and proceeded to try to upsell us to a compact with we could get for the bargain rate of $28 for 3 days. It was $9 for all 3 days on line.

We were pressed for time and so went with the compact and got the heck out of there.

Denver, Colorado...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

Top Ten TryingThings to experience at Payless Car Rental Tampa

10. Trying to find the rental counter only to find its not at the airport.

9. Trying to find the shuttle pick up place at the airport.

8. Trying to understand the stuttle driver's english.

7. Trying to figure out why we came going from one side of the airport to the other before heading to the rental lot.

6. Having only one clerk to help all of the customers getting off the shuttle.

5. Getting high pressure sales for extra insurance and gas.

4. Being asked for your insurance card.

3. Watching paperwork be filled out by hand. No fancy technology here.

2. Finding out that you paid $66.00 for a half a tank of gas.

1. Looking at the bill and seeing the rental fees were more than the actual cost of the rental.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

This was not a great experience. The website listed the location at the airport, but it really is not, and they add a shuttle fee to the bill.

The rude clerk spent more than 15 minutes trying to convince us to purchase additional insurance insisting that they charge for many issues that other companies do not - charges I have never heard of and have rented many cars.

The company then holds an automatic $250 on your credit card for 14 days, even if there were no issues. This seems like a great way to use customer's money for interest free loans.

The shuttle drivers were friendly at least.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,874 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

Why do I find myself so often having to defend not so great companies against these incorrect posts. I just looked at the Payless website and it clearly shows the location, including a map to the off airport location. You can even click on shuttle information, which would be a good indication that a shuttle is required. The website doesn't list anything about a shuttle fee. Maybe they only add that on certain customer's bills.

How do you even know when a company puts a hold on your credit card? I thought all rental car companies and lots of hotels do that. I don't think it is actually a charge against your card, just a hold against your credit limit so by the time they process your charge it will still go thru.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

The $250 is an actual charge, not a hold that they said will take 14 days to "refund", I travel frequently and have not encountered this from a hotel or car rental company.

When entering the location TPA , that would indicate the rental company is at the airport.

No, the website does not state anything about shuttle fees, it just gets added onto the bill and since you already took the shuttle, not much can be done at that point.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,874 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

From the faqs on Payless website under credit cards: " The estimated amount of the rental, plus a security deposit is held or charged on the credit card at the time of rental. "

I am surprised to read that as I can't recall that policy from any other rental car company or hotel, that they would actually charge the deposit. I still don't see where it makes a difference in most cases as long as the deposit is refunded before the monthly payment is due.

As far as your perception that entering the location TPA means that the rental car company is onsite, well that is just your perception. Even the TPA website lists some off site locations like Payless, Advantage, Fox and several others. tampaairport.com/ground_transportation/renta… Go to any of those company websites and they will show a location for TPA even though they are off the actual airport grounds. It's not just a Payless thing (or a Tampa thing).

There has been much recent discussion on the Tampa trip advisor forum about which companies are on and off site and links to lists showing locations.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 15:59
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

I don't like it when I am lied to! Was told that if I paid for the full tank @3.39 per gallon, I was saving 20 cents a gallon on gas and that I could return the car without filling up. Totally untrue. I actually saw gas in the Tampa area cheaper than that. Don't let them talk you into that! It's a total money maker for them.

Also, they charged me 30% more than the rate I got from Expedia in my confirmation. They blamed it on Expedia's lack of knowledge of the area taxes and fees. Really? 30% more? The same thing happened to the two renters in front of me in line.

On the shuttle back to the airport, the couple next to us also complained about Payless saying they were lied to as well.

BEWARE. You will pay a lot more than what you were quoted.

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

I had reserved two cars for one week on 8/3/13 to 8/10/13.

When i booked reservations I went on the website and read the reviews I was scared; I was thinking I will not be able to get the car or I would get a dirty old car and I would have a horrible costumer service. When I arrived the representative Sheri was very pleasant and very helpful. I had my car insurance cards on me so that was helpful. The only thing the girl asked was to get insurance if any damages to the car we would not be responsible for the time the car was in labor, it was only $10+tax per day and the girl waived the second driver fee (very nice of her).

We got two very new cars a Toyota Siena and a Kia (we were supposed to get a Yaris but they complimentary upgrade us to more roomy newer Kia) both 2013 very nice and clean.

The drop of was very fast and smooth so no complains either.

The only disappointment was that I wanted to have the driver name to be different from the name of the credit card she asked her supervisor he said cannot happen, and when I asked if I change the name on the reservation to the credit card holders name she said it was not possible their system was not set up that way and they were sold out so we could not cancel and rebook.

Reservations were not as nice as the girl at the desk long time waiting on the phone and not polite, they will not inform you the rental place is off site from the airport so you will have to take the shuttle and where the shuttle location was, so it took us around 30 minutes to ask and figure it out where the shuttle was located. The shuttle drivers were nice and helpful, and the shuttle was running every 10 minutes.

They price was great even with the extra fee I got it was much lower than AAA discount through Hertz.

I would rent a car from them again if I need to.

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless

Raport to Expedia, they will get your money back.

Reply to: Car rental at Tampa Airport - Don't rent from Payless
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted