We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

Cold weather, high cost of living and traffic have finally taken its toll. Interested in moving to Florida and considering Tampa. Any suggestions on nice areas to purchase a home. Interested in a single family home in a quiet, low traffic area. My husband took early retirement but I will be working for quite a few years more. I'm assuming the job market is in the downtown area. It would be helpful to be able to get to/from work without too much of a delay. Are there any nice quiet areas downtown? We don't have to be near waters. Are there are others in the vicinity that you can suggest? Is Tampa the only job market in the area? Feel free to offer any advice you feel would be helpful.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

Tampa area is HUGE and spreadout. Most Financial and Service jobs can be found in a few areas..Downtown, Westshore District, I-75 Corridor from New Tampa through Brandon.

Really depends where you end up working, how long of a commute you want, as to where you want to live.(Example: Work Downtown - live in South Tampa) AS far as quiet neighborhoods with little traffic may be hard to find with such rapid growth in the area. Maybe someone else can enlighten you to quiet neighborhoods with little traffic.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

Boy can I relate to the cold, cost of living, and traffic--we relocated from Tampa to DC in 2004.

Absolutely right that the area is tremendously spread out--sprawl is a huge problem and the growth is left unchecked.

As for areas, much of it depends upon what type of home you're interested in. Do you want new construction or prefer a more historic area? Tampa Palms/New Tampa is north Hillsborough County and is under rapid development. There you will find newer homes, all the chain stores and restaurants, and be about 40 minutes or so--in rush hour--from downtown. Alternatively, Seminole Heights is a historic neighborhood that has been booming the last few years; it's close to downtown and offers 1920s/1930s bungalows, some restored, some a project if that's what you're looking for. Many of the streets are close to I-275 (the major interstate through Tampa) but there are still quieter side streets. South Tampa is a nice area, close to downtown, and offers a variety of home styles--it's one of the pricier areas of Tampa.

Back to how spread out things are, St Pete and Clearwater (Pinellas County), Lakeland (Polk County), and other areas (such as Temple Terrace, Gibsonton, Oldsmar) are all options. Downtown Tampa may be the financial/government center, but it's by no means the "central business district" that, say, downtown DC is.

Hope this helps a bit!

Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

Thanks. I personally prefer not to purchase a new home. A 2-3 bedroom home is sufficient for us. I had friends who lived in Carrollwood(?) at one time. They liked living there. It is so cold in DC today, I'd move into a cardboard box. I plan to come down to Tampa in the next couple of weeks to look around and just wanted to get an idea of where to concentrate my efforts. Both of your comments have been very helpful.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

I used to live in C-wood as well. Homes from probably the 70s and later. LOTS of traffic congestion in that area, but if you like the convenience of having shopping within a 10 minute drive, it's a good choice. A bit more difficult to get downtown from there--Dale Mabry is a nightmare at any time of day! Then again, if you're used to the Beltway... lol

I hear ya on the cold--today was brutal! I'm currently looking at trips to Mexico or Spain!

Best of luck with your upcoming move! Please let me know if I can help with any other questions.

Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

Thanks for the tip about Carrollwood. We went to Acapulco, Mexico about two years ago. It was really great. We want to plan a trip to Puerto Vallarta next. I guess we better make a decision about this move first. One more question. Are the people in Tampa for the most part friendly?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

As a Long Island transplant over 18 years ago, Id have to say YES! I live in the South Tampa area, and have numerous friends, and when out at festivals, concerts, sporting events,parks, etc., I have to say that its very rare to bump into attitudes, but they are there.

7. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2006, 06:04
Boston...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

http://www.fishhawkranch.com/welcome_html.php

I think this will help you alot. Its beautiful and they have a scale of price ranges.

Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

Thanks. Looked at website. Very helpful. Visited Tampa recently. Despite the traffic, I really loved it there. We looked in several areas. Wesley Chapel was very nice but the homes were so close together. We also looked in Carrollwood. We liked the area despite the traffic. We accidentally ran across an area I believe was called Lake Magdalene(sp). The houses were nice there. Cost of housing has gone up but still lower than DC. We will probably go back in the summer to see what the hot weather is like down there before making a decision.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Relocating from Washington DC to Tampa

Let's see...

The weather may be cold up there, but not much better here in July, August and September...it may be a real big change for you...some love it and others hate it!

Downtown Tampa is only a Business District not many people live in the area.

Regarding Work...Pinellas County (Clearwater/St. Petersburg) also have many big companies(Raymond James/Franklin Templeton etc...). However, the home prices in Pinellas County are a lot more than Tampa due to lack of space.

Tampa is huge! From the rural areas to Westshore, South Tampa, North Tampa, Temple Terrace etc...

a lot of people are moving into Brandon, Riverview, New Tampa and farther out which add to the communte. But these areas offer new construction homes for a good value (however some are still really expensive).

Good Luck!