We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

Just wondering if anyone knows if Dollar Car Rental still has a shuttle to the Cruise port when you drop off the car at TPA and a cruise port pick up to bring us back after the cruise. I plan on flying into Orlando and taking a rental to Tampa to take a cruise. Upon return I am planning on getting another rental for the remaining week of my vacation. I have seen an older post on here (2006) that this was indeed the case but was wondering if anything had changed since then?

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

This was still the case as of Jan 2010.

Fort Mohave, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

Yes Dollar Rental does have a free shuttle from airport to Port of Tampa for cruise ships. 1/22/12

PA
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

Where do you find this shuttle when going from port to TPA? We are disembarking at Terminal 3 and then need to get the car.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,866 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

I used Alamo's shuttle and I don't recall it being hard to find the pick up area. You just walk out the doors and all the taxis and shuttles are waiting.

If you are taking the shuttle to the cruise port they will point out your pick up spot. If not, just ask someone.

You might be able to find more specific information on cruisecritic.com. If you are not familiar with that site they have forums with all sorts of info about cruising including the port, the ship and ports of call.

Gloversville, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

Sheri, who cruised this past week 2/28/13... I was misled and lied to from Dollar Rental at the Tampa Airport. THERE IS NOT A FREE SHUTTLE FROM THE DOLLAR RENTAL RETURN AT THE AIRPORT TO THE TAMPA PORT. We were lied to at the desk when returning our rental car that there was a desk in the pick up terminal area and a nice, quite short, lady will greet and help us. Come to find out the free shuttle was not free, it was the Carnival cruise shuttle and it was a price per person of $15.00 charged to our Sail and Sign card. We were told that the desk lies to everyone heading to the port. So, we had to do this, an unplanned expense. We were not happy we were lied to. Please, future travelers, don't fall into the same trap we did.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 15:31
Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

I'm sorry this happened to you. Please note that unless you are a single traveler, a shuttle costing $15/person makes no sense to use. There is a flat rate of $25 per taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

Thanks so much for sharing this I was planning to book through dollar for this very reason. And this is after I called them and asked the directly because the last post that I read informed that there was a shuttle but the post was from 2011 so I called to verify. I'm so glad that I decided not to book with them.

When contacting some of the other car rental agencies I was told they no longer provided shuttles for security reasons. Maybe this applies to all car rental agencies in Tampa. I called Herts, Avis, and Budget.

Also Carnival charges 20/per person each way. We plan to take a cab and just pay a flat rate of $25 instead. This will save us $30 round trip.

Thanks for posting a more recent post. This has been very helpful for me.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 20:47
8. Re: Dollar Rental TPA and Shuttle to Cruise Port??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:19