We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

Yardley...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

Coming to Tampa in June for two nights - want a hotel on beach, with pool, safe and clean. Looking for local reviews of the Harborside Suites at Little Harbor or the Resort and Club at Little Harbor. Customer reviews are quite contradictory so looking for local input. Am I better off doing something in Clearwater? Advice needed soon as we are coming in June!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

Little Harbor is in Ruskin, south and east of Tampa. Ruskin is on Tampa Bay. The better beaches are on the Gulf of Mexico, so Clearwater Beach or St. Pete Beach would be preferred. The Gulf beaches are what most tourists expect for a Florida beach vacation.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

You will not want to go into the water where Little Harbor is. Clearwater Beach is the place to be.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
290 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

Agree with above, you do not want to go to Ruskin. My favorites are St. Pete and the beaches in Sarasota.

Greater Orlando
Level Contributor
68 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

First let me begin with a small rant about the use of "Tampa Bay" as this is VERY misleading to people, because what is being advertised is the "Tampa Bay area" made up of Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater and surrounding communities! With that being said, I agree that you don't want to stay in the Ruskin area for beaches! The beaches are beautiful from Clearwater south on the West Coast, so the question is how are you getting to Tampa and how far do you want to drive from Tampa to where you will stay? What kind of accommodations are you looking for as there will be places from small mom & pop motels to bed & breakfast inns to resorts? As far as favorite beaches, i vote with the person above and say go south to the beaches of Sarasota preferably Siesta Key!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

Not sure if Jlovesto... is ranting about my response or not.

In my response, the use of Tampa Bay meant the body of water. In these forums I seldom use the term, Tampa Bay Area, to refer to the surrounding cities and towns.

It is unfortunate that sportscasters, especially, have taken to calling the entire geographic land area, Tampa Bay; just because the football, baseball and hockey teams all use "Tampa Bay" in their team names.

I cringe when I hear someone say "I live in Tampa Bay" ... hmm, must be very wet. ;-)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

I agree with you about the sportscasters ... but it isn't only them ... our local newsreaders do it also. I remember not too long ago there was a contestant in one of the national talent shows on tv and she/he was from Sarasota and got to the finals. In the local news the contestant was reported to be from the Tampa Bay area.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

LOL, Donna..."hmmm, must be very wet".

I always think EXACTLY the same thing!

Greater Orlando
Level Contributor
68 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

Not ranting about your response Donna, ranting about the incorrect use of the ter "Tampa Bay" by newscasters, sportscasters, and even tourism commercials I've seen when I've been out of state!. As you and others have noted if you live in "Tampa Bay" it is very wet! LOL! I think the term is very misleading especially for travelers who don't know the area and don't realize the driving time involved in going between Sarasota/St Pete/Clearwater/Tampa!

9. Re: Hotel in Tampa for 2 nights with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 00:42