We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A few questions

My wife and I are visiting Tampa from London for two weeks from 24 November. We already have tickets for Buccaneers vs Falcons on the following day and Idina Menzel at the Straz Center on 1 December. The main reason for the trip is for the NFL game as I became a Bucs fan after seeing them play in London as the home team and it appeared as though they needed the support!

Would anyone recommend things to do for these two weeks, or would we be better off staying in the area from 24 November until 2 December and then spend the last six nights elsewhere. Other places that come to mind that I could fly direct to from Tampa are Puerto Rico (although I hear it is very unsafe), Key West and the Bahamas. We could then return to London from there. Alternatively, we could spend the first eight days in Tampa and then move up to Orlando and fly back from London from there.

We would like to do a tour of Raymond James Stadium and visit Busch Gardens and also go up to Universal Studios and Seaworld. Apart from that, are the gulf beaches worth visiting at this time of year? Is it too cold? Is it worth visiting the downtown areas of St Petersburg and Clearwater? Where elese could we visit in the vicinity?

Apologies for all of the questions and thank you in advance for any replies!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions

It will be too cold to go into the water but on a sunny day you can take a sunset stroll on the beach.

Will you be renting a car to get around?

In Tampa there's also the Florida Aquarium if that is of interest. And about 1.5 miles from that is Ybor City which comes alive at night but still interesting to walk in daytime along it's 7th Ave. It has the famous Columbia restaurant that features flamenco dancers at dinner time and also the Greek Acropolis restaurant with belly dancers at dinner time.

About an hour's drive to the north is the town of Tarpon Springs which was settled by the Greeks in the early days to do sponge diving and is still done today. The small town has many greek restaurants and shops.

Again in Tampa is the Museum of Science & Industry (MOSI) which recently added a zip line feature and there's the Lowry Park zoo.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions

I agree with the above poster. The Gulf beaches are beautiful and worth a stroll, but probably too cold to swim.

Downtown St. Pete is cute with lots of restaurants and bars. There is also the Dali Museum as well as several other museums.

Sarasota is a cute town also with a nice shopping area, St. Armand's Circle, beautiful beaches and the Ringling Museum.

I would suggest a rental car to explore the area.

The Bucs definitely need your support, so thank you!!

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions

I would fly to the Keys or the Bahamas after your week in Tampa. There's plenty to do in the area for a week but I don't think it's a two week vacation spot.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions

It really depends on how mild the season is. I used to live on Treasure Island and I've been swimming at that time. In Tampa you might want to visit Ybor City which was a historic section built by the cigar industry. It's mostly bars and restaurants now but has a lot of history. St. Pete has a nice downtown, but Clearwater is tiny - but the beach is good. There's also places around the area like Homosassa Springs, Ceday Key Fort DeSoto and the beaches.

You could probably spend a week or two on Puerto Rico alone if you go around the whole island from San Juan, El Yunque, Culebra, Ponce. Lot's to do there. The Bahamas are probably more relaxing.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions

I agree with Sotampa,

It will depend what type of Nov and a UK tourist will find the water much warmer than they get in high summer.

I would not spend 2 weeks in Tampa I'd get down further south to Siesta key, Captiva or even Key west. Basically I;d get to a Beach.

A trip to the islands could be fun, if you get a good price on flights, or you could take a 5 day cruise out of Tampa. I don't think Puerto Rico is unsafe, personally. Not anymore than Mexico anyway.

London, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions

Thank you to everyone for their replies. I think we have made a decision, which means that we will spend the last 6 nights in Miami. We are looking at going to the Dolphins vs Patriots game on Sunday 2 December and then spending the rest of the week in the Miami Beach area. It is tight as the flight from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale lands at 9.30am on the Sunday morning, so hopefully it will be on time. The extra expense and indirect flights from other locations made Miami a more attractive proposition, especially as I can see another game before coming back to the UK!

We plan on going for some strolls on St Pete Beach as well as visiting Ybor City. Our 8 days in Tampa should be pretty busy with this, the Bucs game, Busch Gardens and a couple of days in Orlando.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions

Take a look at Anna Maria Island, it is about an hour or so from Tampa and a beautiful, non-crowded island, very "Old FLorida" with cute shops and great restaurants, THere are 3 fishing piers there too so you can walk out and each have a restaurant at the end. I dont think you would be disappointed.

8. Re: A few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2013, 10:15