We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tampa Airport Car Rental

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Tampa Airport Car Rental

I have found some great deals but then find terrible reviews of the companies. Of course the big name companies are very expensive. Any advice or recommendations?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

Use priceline.com or hotwire.com

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

Thanks- the hotwire hotdeal was one of the great prices I found but had terrible reviews about dealing with changes/add ons when you tried to pick up your car.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

Advantage seems to have the worst reputation in Tampa. I would avoid them.

What I've found with car rentals is prices can fluctuate, so if you have lots of time before your trip I suggest you book as a back up the best rate you can find now, then keep looking for rates to go down. I would be leery of locking into a pre paid rate far in advance of my pick up date.

You can also check online for coupons and sometimes find some coupon codes that will save you some bucks. I also joined the Alamo Insider club free online and Alamo lists special rates and a discount on every rental for Insiders, even if you are using a coupon code you get an additional discount.

You have to check often for rate drops as they sometimes only go down for a few days then shoot back up. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

Thanks!!!

Somewhere, MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

I totally agree with checking often - I have saved over $200 per retal period by planning early and constantly checking back for better deals. The good thing about car rentals, unlike air fare, is that you can book and then keep rebooking as prices go lower. Personally, I would avoid the companies with the bad reviews and stick with the major players: Avis, Budget, etc. Good luck!

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

good, you guys have saved me because some of the low price ones I have seen are pay now and no refund. Now I know better! Thanks!!

Somewhere, MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

Glad this is all helpful - please let us know which co. you decide to go with (or at least I am curious as I am booking a Tampa rental this winter) :)

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

Here is another website I used successfully one time. http://www.discountfloridacarrentals.com/

It's weird because you give them your travel details and they will e mail you back in a day or so to let you know the best rate they find. I was very skeptical, but because you don't give credit card info I figured I had nothing to lose. Once they get you a reservation you deal directly with the rental car company.

Be real careful of those 3rd party sites like Zoom and carrental8 that take your money up front and may not include all taxes and fees in the price. Or you may not have a car waiting when you get to Tampa even though you've already paid.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

Thanks again! Will let you know how it works out!

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tampa Airport Car Rental

Hmm tried the discount florida car rental site and it won't let me pick 2013 as a return date.