We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

does anyone know of a large chain hotel near to the Rays Baseball stadium??......looking for something that we can either walk to the stadium or a short taxi ride. Thank you

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

That stadium is actually in St. Petersburg. All the major chain hotels are located near the St. Petersburg airport which is a little over a mile from the stadium.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,997 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

Plus, the stadium area isn't the best. I'd stay DT or like I do, at the beach. The tax isn't cheap from the beach, but you can take the trolley.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

The St Petersburg/Clearwater Airport is about 10-12 miles from Tropicana Field, NOT a convenient place to stay for a game.

The closest chain hotel is the Hotel Indigo (part of the Holiday Inn group). It is about a mile away. Walkable, or they offer a shuttle on game days. There is also a trolley that operates from downtown St Petersburg, so the hotels located there could work for you. The Renaissance Vinoy (Marriott), Hampton Inn and Suites, and Hilton are all within easy walking distance to the trolley.

www.loopertrolley.com

Or, as amanx said, stay out at the beach and take the Central Ave Trolley (about 30-35 minute ride).

www.psta.net/CAT.php

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

Oops ... my bad ... I meant the Albert Whitted airport ... so any hotel you like which is close to that airport will not be far at all from the stadium. And you may actually find a hotel with a view of Tampa Bay.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,469 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

If the main purpose of your trip is a Rays game then I suggest staying downtown St Pete. Of course you have to get to St Pete from the airport in Tampa. So if you are only staying a few days a rental car may not be much more expensive than a taxi or shuttle to and from the airport.

A car would give you a lot more options for hotels and getting around to do other things besides the ball game. But, if a rental car is not an option, definitely stay downtown St Pete.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,469 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

I should have mentioned, there is a separate forum on trip advisor for St Petersburg where you may get more detailed information and read reviews of St Petersburg hotels.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

Many thanks everyone.....we will be driving into Tampa and possibly spending the day at the beach then the game in the evening. Will check out what youve recommended. Cheers

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

Just wanted to add a word of caution -

While researching hotels, you will probably come across some inexpensive options that fraudulently advertise themselves as being "downtown" or "near Tropicana Field". Check the address carefully, and steer clear of any that are on US 19 (also known as 34th St). These are neither downtown nor near the Trop, and are not in a nice area to stay.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

If we stayed out at the beach area.....what kind of time do the trolley services finish?.....we will have 3 kids with us so dont want the risk of stuggling to get back out there??

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels Near Tropicana Field (Rays Baseball)

Thank You for this