We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental controversy

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Albert
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
car rental controversy

Just wondering why there seems to be so many scams and problems with car rental companies in this state. I have never seen so many posts about this this situation anywhere else nor have we encountered problems in the past - in any other state which also includes Florida as well. Since we do enjoy coming here and are soon returning, am now wondering if we should be prepared to get ripped off at the car rental company.

swansea
Level Contributor
441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental controversy

Hi,for what its worth ,hear is my take on it.

Most of the horror stories are from travellers from the UK,often caused by not doing any research into Florida car hire ,and don't know what to expect ,and ,as is the way of the world ,are often pressurised into accepting things they don't need or want ,MOST ,not all of the counter staff are on a commission ,the more add ons they sell ,the more they gain,i have no issue with these people,just stating the obvious,combine that with jet lag,little sleep,crying children ,excitement and probably another 100 things ,all this adds up to a melting pot of possible problems.

We have for the last 20yrs been lucky enough to visit Florida ,and other parts of the States ,and [so far !!] never had an issue with car hire ,so i think when you bear in mind the many hundreds of thousands of rentals that take place ,the real problems are very few and far between,i realise that if you are one of the unlucky ones ,it can in some cases be very frustrating and even possibly ruin your hard earned holiday.

One last thing ,we have always rented from the major players in car rental,for the sake of a saving of a couple of dollars ,maybe having to catch a shuttle bus to off airport location,maybe older ,not so clean vehicles ,to us not worth the hassle.

Hope this is of some help

Fishman UK

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental controversy

I say be prepared so you are not ripped off. The ones being ripped off are the ones who are not prepared. I'm not trying to condone the shoddy upsell practices, but if you are prepared you can likely avoid being a victim.

There is a misconception that this is a Florida problem involving non US citizens who rent cars, but that is not at all the case. There is a class action lawsuit against Dollar, involving their locations all across the country and filed by American citizens.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental controversy

The Paris forum has at least a couple of threads every week about "scams" -- and as fishman said, it's usually someone who's not paying attention and signed off on something they shouldn't have.

And it's not any company in particular -- they all take a turn being accused of horrible behavior that beggar belief more often than not.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental controversy

Yes, I've read a lot of complaints about requiring purchase of a full tank of gas by car rental companies in Europe. I guess it's in the t & c's, but still takes a lot of people by surprise.

5. Re: car rental controversy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 04:18