We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Rental Car at TPA -- Bad Experience!

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
205 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Rental Car at TPA -- Bad Experience!

Just returned from our trip and had a bad experience at Budget at the airport. I thought we should be OK since we have a Fast Break membership, but no luck. We get to the Fast Break desk and they can't find our reservation. We give them printouts of all of the e-mails and they say the reservation was cancelled. We insist that we did not cancel the reservation. After about 1/2 hour wait the woman said she can give us a rental for significantly higher than our original rate. No, that's not happening. A few minutes later, she says she talked to the manager and we can have a rental for about $100 additional. I said no, let me talk to the manager. We have written confirmations. The manager shows up and we were able to get our rental for the originally agreed terms. It was about a 45 minute wait and not a good way to start a vacation. I can say that we will not be using Budget again.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Rental Car at TPA -- Bad Experience!

Wow, that sounds awful.......my congratulations for standing firm......I always have my printed confirmation with me, as well, but this sounds like either a mistaken cancellation by one of the employees or a very, very dishonest way of getting someone to upgrade.......

Contact the corporate offices of Budget and file an official complaint......this might be an ongoing trend for this location and the mismanagement cannot be good for their company........

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Rental Car at TPA -- Bad Experience!

Definitely contact corporate.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 16:21
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,301 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Rental Car at TPA -- Bad Experience!

Kudos to you for holding firm. This sounds like another twist on the bait and switch practices. I can see where you would avoid Budget in the future, but these shoddy practices are apparently going on with other rental car companies too.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Rental Car at TPA -- Bad Experience!

I had a similar issue with my Fastbreak reservation at the Denver airport. However Budget handled it within two minutes and gave me a significantly upgraded vehicle at the reservation rates.

5. Re: Budget Rental Car at TPA -- Bad Experience!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 06:17