We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STAY AWAY from Payless Car Rental

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Topic
STAY AWAY from Payless Car Rental

STAY AWAY! Was snagged by the on-line advertised daily rate for this car rental, but the harassment to get their insurance and the scare tactics used were humiliating. It almost ruined a great vacation. Unless I bought their added coverage they would put a hold on my credit card and wouldn't release it for 10-14days. I have never had this happen. If anything happened to the car I had to pay out of pocket and continue to rent the car while it was in the garage. I fully believed this company would keep the car in the garage just to run up the bill, if any small thing happened to the rented car. This business is shady and a scam. The front desk person was rude and unfriendly - telling me I had to rent a mini-van when I reserved a sub compact car. After I agreed to purchase the extra insurance they suddently had a Corolla for me to rent. NEVER EVER use this PAYLESS car rental. WORST EXPERIENCE I've ever had when renting a car. The price ended up to be the same as the reputable places. No bargain and NOT nice to deal with their front desk. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experience.

michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: STAY AWAY from Payless Car Rental

I was going to rent from Payless on our Vegas trip but after seeing some of the comments about them I think I will go with another company.

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: STAY AWAY from Payless Car Rental

I recommend going w/ someone else. I have used discount rental companies that have worked out well (Thrifty or Dollar General were fine) But I will never use Payless again!

USA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: STAY AWAY from Payless Car Rental

Moral of story... Never rent a car from a company that sells cheap shoes.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,265 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: STAY AWAY from Payless Car Rental

Always rent from the major companies not into those no thrill no frill places like Payless,Fox and others.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 03:01
Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: STAY AWAY from Payless Car Rental

I rented from them some years back at TPA and they were so determined to not give me a free upgrade, they gave me a car that was in the middle of having body work done on it. It was one of my first times renting a car, other I would have know to refuse it. In reality, i don't think they are any better or worse than other rental company's. It all depends on the counter person you deal with.

6. Re: STAY AWAY from Payless Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 07:18