We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

Which Treasure Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Dakota
Level Contributor
89 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

We are a family of 4, two kids 6 & 10. Looking to arrive late April 2012. Really struggling with where to stay. Read countless reviews on hotels. The ones I'd really want to stay at are way over our budget. Need to keep it $200 or less (preferably less) a night. Right now am seriously considering either the Alden or the Bilmar. Both properties look like they have recently done some renovations. Both in Budget, pool, beachfront, & affordable gulf-front rooms.

Have read the reviews, but has anyone stayed at the Bilmar recently? Thinking the Beaches Building, Gulfront Efficiency. Thoughts? Is it clean & updated?

Or the Alden...any comments on the Cayman rooms? Is the property clean? I don't need fancy, but clean a must.

Not opposed to staying at a mom/pop place...but havent come across any that sound overly family freindly and clean. Really want something on the beach, with a pool. Safe & fun for the kids.

Sorry so long, Thanks in Advance.

Peg

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

The bilmar is a really nice hotel excellent customer service, really nice place to stay gulf front rooms awesome!!!

WINNIPEG
Level Contributor
214 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

Hi Peg,

Both the Aldean and Bilmar are good hotels and well ranked on tripadvisor. You may wish to consider the Best Western Sea Castle. It is an ideal location on the Gulf and very reasonable. They have a separate living room and kitchen which allow you to put the kids to bed and still stay up and watch TV or enjoy the weather and Gulf view just outside your hotel room door. The motel is a mom and pop hotel, but it is clean and has modern bedrooms and living areas, as well as a good pool area. The bathrooms are clean, but could use updating. The staff at the motel are friendly.

You also might want to look at the sister property the Thunderbird right next door. Guests at either hotel can share the pool and lounge facilities. They are next door to the Bilmar and well located to all the fun on Gulf Blvd.

Enjoy your trip.

KIM

New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

Both are very nice the Bilmar sits on a very wide beach . Sloppy Joe's restaurant is attached to it, good food and drinks at a decent price. Across the street are a few restaurants and a Walgreens and liquar store. The Alden is on a shorter beach and has a beach bar, both have two pools hot tubs and grills for cooking. Whichever you choose i am sure that you will have a great time.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

We just recently returned from the Bilmar. The property has been renovated inside and out. We stayed in the Palms building on the 7th floor with a wonderful balcony view of the sunset over the beach and watched the sunrise over Treasure Island from the front balcony.. The beds are really comfortable.

The kitchenette would be very handy with children, although I dont think I would turn our 4 year old grandaughter loose on the 7th story balcony. Not because of design, but because she is a 4 year old who climbs. Just call me overprotective! Overall, I think the Bilmar would be a perfect place for a family vacation. They had movie night for the kids there. The beach is beautiful! Bazzies, onsite, has very good breakfast with outdoor seating or indoor seating. Publix grocery store is just down the road.

Check out my review of the Bilmar for a better overview and others opinions. Mark n Teresa

South Dakota
Level Contributor
89 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will book at the Bilmar. It looks like what we are looking for. I think we'll book the Beaches Building, talked to a gal at the front desk today who was helpful. Yeah, I would never book anything too high, with kids and a balcony, overprotective is always good.

Do you guys know if there are chair/umbrella rentals by the Bilmar? thx

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

Cabana rentals on the beach

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

I commend you on doing such thorough research for your upcoming family vacation. The entire Bilmar Team appreciates the generous recommendations from our former (and future) guests. I believe you will enjoy the Bilmar Beach Resort for the central location and commitment to facility and service. If I can be of any assistance with your travel plans please feel free to contact me directly. Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager (727) 360-5531 ext. 776.

Chatham Illinois
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

Bilmar,Beaches bldg with a balcony,can't go wrong

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

What about a condo? Many on VRBO or Homeaway.

10. Re: Advice on where to stay - Bilmar, Alden or ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 10:18