We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stone Crab

Iowa
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Stone Crab

My wife and I are going to Treasure Island on Sunday for 4 nights and I am looking for a good place to get stone crab. Last year we went to crabby bill's (somewhere north of Madeira) and we don't want to go back there (not that it was bad, just want a change + we weren't big on the picnic table seating, even though we got lucky and didn't have to sit on one..anyway)

Where can I get some good stone crab in the area? We are staying at the Bilmar.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stone Crab

Have you tried Sloppy Pelican? its in st. pete the address is on here i did a review on them the food was AWESOME! lol

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stone Crab

MiddleGounds Grill, just north of the Bilmar, has them. Also very good at the Wharf in Pass-a-Grille.

Harrisgary, I haven't noticed stone crab on the Sloppy Pelican menu. Was it a Special? (By the way, I really like their food too!)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stone Crab

yeah it was a special and yes their food is great lol i haven't had the the other ones you listed but were gonna be down ther june 10th to the 18th i will have to try them lol

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stone Crab

All of the Frenchy's in Clearwater Beach serve it during season, through May 16th. They have their own boats so it's very fresh. You can even order it online through Frenchy's Stone Crab Company and have it sent to you. Try Frenchy's Rockaway Grill right on the beach.

frenchysonline.com/locations/…

I know what you mean about Crabby Bill's.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 14:20
Iowa
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stone Crab

Thanks for the answers, I will look into those places mentioned.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stone Crab

northernite

you said they serve them through season so after may they no longer have it on the menu?

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stone Crab

Harrisgary, Stone crabs will not be available in June. They are around for a couple days after the season, but any you get in June would have been frozen. Restaurants just take them off the menu til the season re-opens on October 15.

The restaurants I mentioned, as well as Frenchy's, as mentioned ny northernite, will all still be open, with many of our other local specialties available. Do try a grouper sandwich!

Frenchy's are fun, casual spots. MiddleGrounds Grill is upscale, fine dining. The Wharf is a waterfront hole-in-the-wall. Excellent seafood at all three :-)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stone Crab

Thanks i'll make sure when i'm down there in june to check them out and last year we was gonna try middle grounds but they did look like they were upscale and pricy lol

9. Re: Stone Crab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Island
Recent Conversations