We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's With The Bums?

St. Petersburg...
2 posts
Save Topic
What's With The Bums?

I've worked in Treasure Island for about 5 years and recently started noticing bums hanging out at the bus stop in front of Walgreens. I'd see one or two every now and then walking around, but now they just loiter all day and night long, beg the tourists for money, urinate in hallways and closets at the hotels, and I've even seen one sleeping on a hotel bathroom floor. Aren't there laws against loitering and begging in TI?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,022 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's With The Bums?

Welcome to Florida land of the homeless, especially in the winter. Best thing is to call the police and complain. In our city we have so many they have a police "liasion" just for the street people. If they find an abandoned house or vacant lot they will set up camp. Our city was so dumb they allowed them to build a soup kitchen near our downtown area. Keep on the police until they do something or you will end up with the same problem we have including drugs and crime that go with it.

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's With The Bums?

Two years ago when St. Petersburg cracked down on the homeless panhandling at intersections and sleeping on the benches it drove many homeless people to search for new locations. Unfortunately TI became a new “home” for some of them (4 to be exact). Chief Casey has done a fair job enforcing the laws regarding panhandling and any aggressive behavior that was seen more when the change occurred but he points out that these individuals are still citizens of our country and no; there is not a law about loitering in a public place. I could see that causing a major issue for our tourists that “loiter” at the beach all day. A key to keeping issue under control is for private businesses to maintain the appropriate level of security and don’t allow them to Trespass on private property. Contact the police whenever they see anyone (homeless or just a jerk) breaking the law. If they are caught trespassing the police issue a citation and usually bring them to Pinellas Hope where they can get assistance and some guidance on returning to a more productive life.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's With The Bums?

many years ago, we were at cocoa beach, and some homeless people were sleeping on the beach, and cleaning car windshields for tips, didnt feel threatened at all, asked one guy what happened, said lost his job, then home, so sleep on the beach, get showered and tried to eat once a day, wasnt a wino, so before we left i slipped the waitress a 20 spot, and said make sure he eats tomorrow, makes ya think....

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,919 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's With The Bums?

Winter. Lots out of work. Florida.

A lot easier sleeping on the streets in flrida than most of the USA this time of year.

And as said, whenever police move any illegal things along (from street sleepers to street walkers) they move to a neighboring area.

I am in 2 minds about soup kitchens. Glad they are out there for those who need it, not liking one next door to me.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,022 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's With The Bums?

I understand the need for soup kitchens and other places that aid the homeless and I sympathize with those who legitimately need the help. Unfortunately there are many out there who dont even try to help themselves and disrespect the neighborhood and businesses in the surrounding area. It is a growing problem. The colder temps up north bring many to the south. There are quite a few in other tourist areas too such as South Beach and Key West.

As for giving them money I seldom do. One morning as I was leaving Burger King a homeless man (looked homeless from how he was dressed) was walking down the street as I was pulling out, I had a buy one / get one free deal so I offered him the extra sandwhich. His comment was "ya got any money, I don't want the sandwhich". However I have helped others who seemed in need and they were greatful.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's With The Bums?

We've come across the same thing, bornwithwheels ... offer them something to eat and they refuse. And you know what they want money for .... drugs. It spoils it for the rest who would genuinely take food.

toledo ohio
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's With The Bums?

i was out in San Diego in April walking along the water front and really sad there as lots of homeless people there, and also on Venice beach.

8. Re: What's With The Bums?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Island
Recent Conversations